FreeEMS Status and Capabilities?

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
tlhingan
TO220 - Visibile

Re: FreeEMS Status and Capabilities?

Post by tlhingan »

I need to scope the magnitude of this project.
How much time is needed for a reasonably skilled person and what is the cost of equipment and parts that need to be purchased.
We have electronics and coding experts and we will possibly have a tuning shop partnering with us.
I am only looking for a ballpark figure from people who have done this conversion, if this project looks like it could go forward I will drill down into the schematics and price things out more precisely.
Fred

Post by Fred »

On a suitable target vehicle, one weekend is enough to get setup and running. Tuning takes longer afterwards.

Cost is about 400 US plus a laptop and any engine/chassis hardware required. Edit: soldering iron and scope etc are not included in the 400.

I'm wary of "coding experts" as few really are. Useful if you need to architect a quality external system, though.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
tlhingan
TO220 - Visibile

Post by tlhingan »

Fred wrote: I'm wary of "coding experts" as few really are. Useful if you need to architect a quality external system, though.
External system.
That's the kind of coding experts we have.
:D

I am looking at breaking up the original scope I posted about 2 months ago in this thread into the engine management (this system we just discussed) and the body management system you felt should be kept separate.
After reviewing the hardware platform the engine management system runs on and having you guys discuss the features I was proposing, I agree that these 2 should be kept separate and that there will be far fewer user-selectable options on the engine-management side.

You guys talked about a lot of things and I am looking for a little bit of guidance and clarification about this.
First, if I understood correctly, the user should not have access to engine maps directly as there are only 2 optimal maps (max power and max economy). Would it be a good idea to give the user the choice between 3 maps? Max Economy, Max Power and a blended one? By blended I mean the engine map uses the Max Economy map up to a threshold throttle value and then transitions to the Max Power map up to WOT? Should the user be allowed to select the throttle threshold value?
Second, I believe changing the transmission shift points is probably the best way to have an economy mode (upshift sooner, downshift on more throttle) and a performance mode (upshift later and downshift on less throttle). Is this a better idea than blending engine maps? This should be easier to setup and the user could change the throttle/rpm curve controlling the shifting.

Are these the only user-selectable options the engine management should have after the initial setup? I assume the swapping of non-OEM components (bigger MAF, bigger throttle, larger injectors) can be handled during the initial setup.
tlhingan
TO220 - Visibile

Post by tlhingan »

Just a quick update, our development team will not be taking on this project.
I will be pursuing it myself as a personal project, and I have already lined up a potential test vehicle.
Don't have any timelines for a start yet, as that vehicle may only become available to me in the spring.
I will get the basic system installed, running and tuned in that vehicle and will prototype my body control system alongside.