burt the noob

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
pseudoki
TO220 - Visibile

burt the noob

Post by pseudoki »

hi im burt the noob. im not an electronics nor a software engineer, but i am handy with the wrench and soldering iron and some pcb fabrication :lol2: .

im looking to join in as a tester, if my understanding of what a tester means is correct.
my concern is, am i allowed to reproduce on my own, the hardware developed here? like the jaguar, or RavAGE? also if i am at liberty to reproduce these hardware for my friends(having a lot of grease monkey friends)? :lol: i ask this because i believe it would be cheaper to produce the boards locally than having it shipped.

any how the freeEMS will be installed in an old hatchback with a NA miata engine 1.8 BP non turbo. i would like to use as much of the existing hardware to keep costs down. so it would be wasted spark, sequential injection, get rid of the MAF, use the CAS.

far future plans. i already have low compression pistons, so adding a turbo would not take long.
Fred

Re: burt the noob

Post by Fred »

You can correctly follow the licensing of each hardware design on a per project basis.

For Jaguar, you *can* produce your own, however I wouldn't recommend it, because you would need to know exactly what the status of the design is, which files to grab, etc. Basically, when we think it's good enough, we order some, then we change things. So you're either going to get something unfinished/untested/in between official builds, or something slightly out of date. Someone did this once without asking/talking and got an untested in-between version similar to A3. He had 5 made, and none have run engines, so far. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2275

For RavAGE, there is nothing to produce, yet. Dan and I still need to clarify the licensing, however it's not a priority to do so, as there is no PCB layout, yet. Once there is licensing info for it, you can do it on the basis of that. For Jaguar, I think it's GPL V2. Andy can confirm.

Other than the practical aspects, the boards are in the vicinity of 15usd including some margin for Andy (who has done a massive amount of work) so it's a wee bit disrespectful to do runs of them at this stage, IMO. Unless you flick him a donation per unit, or something like that :-) It's not illegal, though, and you won't be persecuted for it if you do make some. It's always been my intent for people to spin their own boards and put them together on their own terms. I just feel like it'd be better to be part of the group effort at this point, as it's more productive overall to the project as a whole.

The BP is a piece of cake to run, wasted spark + sequential is a great choice of config. Testing in my books is using EMStudio and Sean's loader and complaining as much as you can until you get progress.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
pseudoki
TO220 - Visibile

Post by pseudoki »

Thanks for the quick reply Fred, i see your point, which version of the Jaguar board is available, A5?
i would like to sign up and get one if Andy is making them already. im also open about the donation thing.

hope to be part of the testing group soon :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

The link is in the previous post! :-) Click it and register for a spare or for someone else to give up their second board for you or for Andy to make more of them to meet demand.

Thanks! I could do with some good testers. I reckon I'd have enough testers by about 100 user point, however getting there would be a huge support load, so I need to focus on other things pretty soon.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
pseudoki
TO220 - Visibile

Post by pseudoki »

got it