For those of you who don't know, and hadn't figured it out until you saw this topic, one of my longest running secrets was that an FSAE team had chosen to use FreeEMS on their car:
<pic of car in linkoping>
Way back on the 25th of November 2012, at 2:20pm, Jonas entered the #freeems IRC channel and started asking some questions.
(14:40:41) jonkan_swe [~Adium@dhcp-36-250.iei.liu.se] entered the room.
I answered some questions and told him that it wasn't well suited to his application at this time because:
- 6 channel limitation means use wasted spark OR semi sequential (they had pencil COPs and 12- 14k redline)
- Using Sean's XG code to bypass this would mean not having access to timely updates and support from me
I then took the discussion private in IRC to swap skype details:
Conversation with jonkan_swe at Sun 25 Nov 2012 15:45:55 CET
And proceeded to explain how rough the system was/is to both him and Martin and basically discouraged them from using it at all. Not too long later they came back and said "we're going to use it anyway." at which point I knew I was going to need to be pretty involved to make it a success on such an international and high-profile stage. I encouraged them to keep it on the quiet and secret for a few reasons:
- I didn't know them then but did know that FSAE teams often set lofty goals and fail to meet them.
- In the event of problems with the system (real or perceived) hindering them, I didn't want to have advertised it.
- In the event of everything going well I could write this thread with pics/vids and give everyone a great surprise.
Over the following months I worked with Jonas and Martin answering questions and giving them advice on a near-daily basis. Eventually, on the Thursday 28th March 2013 they ran engine number 19, their old CBR600F engine pulled from their old 2012 car. They ran it using COPs and full sequential with the help of Sean's XG code. It never ran well due to sync losses and multiple wiring issues that we fixed later. I strongly urged them to switch over to vanilla code and wire up their old wasted spark coils such that I could support them. They eventually did that and on the 6th of May got the new engine running with Peter's J-Series V6 code and a custom cam wheel:
<pic of cam wheel>
It still had lots of issues, however fortunately I had booked tickets on April 8th to go and help them in Sweden. In fact, I was a little annoyed that they forged ahead without me and I missed the first start of engine number 20! :-p
- where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means FreedomFreeEMS.org
- the open source engine management systemFreeEMS dev diary
and its comments thread
and my turbo truck!n00bs
, do NOT
PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!