teaser car 25

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: teaser car 25

Post by malcom2073 »

andg wrote:I have 2 of these machines. One might be a higher spec, currently running windows 7 Home premium. This PC will have an iPad connected with USB to enable 4G internet access. This machine will have a VM running ubuntu 12.04 (or 13.04). This VM will have USB pass through for the Jaguar connector. This VM will log as much data as possible. Possibly planning to upload real time data to s3.
Why are you planning on running a VM? Just have the logger run on the windows side, no VM required? An EEE is going to run two VM's terribly slow.
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

malcom2073 wrote:
andg wrote:I have 2 of these machines. One might be a higher spec, currently running windows 7 Home premium. This PC will have an iPad connected with USB to enable 4G internet access. This machine will have a VM running ubuntu 12.04 (or 13.04). This VM will have USB pass through for the Jaguar connector. This VM will log as much data as possible. Possibly planning to upload real time data to s3.
Why are you planning on running a VM? Just have the logger run on the windows side, no VM required? An EEE is going to run two VM's terribly slow.
+1

I totally agree. I mean to say that I will have a spare hdd with linux when I want to test run a fresh make, or 2 EEE pcs to swap out.

Also, I need to create bootloaders, so I will prefer the linux version. I can make those things boot exactly into the state I want, where the logging will begin automatically. Additionally the goal is to boot as quick as possible so the logging can begin as close to start up. Turning the key can prime the fuel in 4 seconds, but how long until the logging can begin? The thing will be controlled by the power button, and it will be designed to die when the car turns off, so those will be some challenges. I may just split file logging, where every 5 minutes of logging the file is saved to disk and a new file is opened.

Code: Select all

{url: andrewgauger.com, skype: andrgaug, email: andg@andrewgauger.com, car: 25, fb: facebook.com/DonatoArrighi, github: andg.github.io, assets:https://s3.amazonaws.com/3400}
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

OK, so I found out the stock throttle body is 56mm so I'm looking at getting a Turbo off eBay. I'm looking at a 57mm intake from the turbo. I'm probably going to begin to work on a board like this. This would likely be a bench board that spends most nights indoors. That puts me a bit over $200, but using freely available parts. It would also be more reasonable to offload the transmission control to a separate board if I'm going to run Jaguar and flash it often.

Things I will also need:
  • * downpipe flange/mount to be welded to crosspipe
    * intercooler / oil cool bypass
    * throttle body to turbo outlet (this is where a round tube fits into an oval hole
    * pipe for turbine exhaust to exhaust pipe (about 20-30", bending)

{url: andrewgauger.com, skype: andrgaug, email: andg@andrewgauger.com, car: 25, fb: facebook.com/DonatoArrighi, github: andg.github.io, assets:https://s3.amazonaws.com/3400}
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

Well, Andy has shipped the Jaguar 0.4-alpha board with MCU and drivers mounted. DigiKey has shipped the components to complete the board. I'll need to get the case and connector figured out before the car becomes a daily driver (which won't be anytime soon due to Electrically controlled transmission requirements) but I will have free ems running my engine before the end of summer! Look out.

andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

The board has arrived. This is the first of the creepy semi-reflective picture line. At least you can see I'm happy. By chance I got serial number 11. Very nice touch with the handwritten 3x5 card. I hadn't realized how small the PCB would be, since I was looking at the preview pictures on a 24" monitor. By the way the solder job by DeuceEFI is tits! Will my .063" 60/40 clear flux solder be sufficient? Only time will tell. Tracking on the component order isn't posted yet, so probably mid-week I can get started.
Attachments
jag_0.4-alpha_unwrap.JPG

Fred

Post by Fred »

No, pick up some 0.7mm wire or you'll have trouble. 0.5mm is a pain because you have to feed it a lot. 1.0 is too big, but barely usable in a squeeze, 1.6mm is HUGE and not useful.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

Thanks for the advice Fred, I'll pick some up.

In the mean time I figured out a compromise...
solder_autofeed.JPG
ROFL

So thanks to Deuce for the Radio shack lingo (I do have a Frys on my daily driving route so I'm not all the shack). I just love the auto feed solder of 1.6mm above. I asked the attendant to help but he actually turned out to at least not tell me the silver was a good idea.
Last edited by andg on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

I used 0.032" diameter 60/40 rosin core solder to mount the components to the board, Radio Shack part # 64-005 E
I also used MG Chemicals Catalog Number 8341-10ML No Clean Flux Paste for the surface mount components in addition to the above solder.
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

OK, so for the board, I've cleaned up my office which has been set up with a bench. Here's the space:

I've also received the package from Andy, and just now the components from Digi-key. No disrespect Andy, I just wanted to make sure I got all of them easy to sort, and it's easier to claim business expense from Digi-key than Drunkards Pike. Here's the jaguar sitting in front of the unwrapped package
digi-key_ship.JPG
Here I've shown just how many sub-components are required to complete the project.
components_unpacked_scale.JPG
One by one I added the reference number in the bottom corner of the packaging onto the BOM worksheet, validating part numbers and quantities. I used a sharpie to mark the package with the first reference the part is used. Here's a picture of the sorted materials
cataloged_labels.JPG

I added each reference number to the spreadsheet, to confirm that I got every line item, and referenced the pin when the component is first used (which is the sort order). My bench looks very nice, but it got too late to actually get to work. I have .7mm solder hooked up to the bench grinder, desolder flux, and a new tip for my iron.

Fred

Post by Fred »

Talk about thorough! :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!