teaser car 25

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

Re: teaser car 25

Post by Fred »

andg wrote:Question:
Does having voltage going to ECU adversely affect the FreeEMS board while using the GM ECU and having the FreeEMS ECU plugged into the fuel pump activation loop?
If you rephrase your question I may be able to attempt to answer it. Right now I can't even attempt an answer :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

Of course, I couldn't even write it without having to rewrite it, then go back and add more. Here's the clear and concise question:

Does +12v going to an output pin on a board that is powered down hurt it?

Code: Select all

{url: andrewgauger.com, skype: andrgaug, email: andg@andrewgauger.com, car: 25, fb: facebook.com/DonatoArrighi, github: andg.github.io, assets:https://s3.amazonaws.com/3400}
Fred

Post by Fred »

If by output pin you mean low side driver of an auto-FET type, no, in a powered down state the voltage into the gate of the FET will be low, and the FET will be "off" and conduct nothing. Hopefully that helps :-)
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

Fred wrote:If by output pin you mean low side driver of an auto-FET type, no, in a powered down state the voltage into the gate of the FET will be low, and the FET will be "off" and conduct nothing
That's what I get for asking my question confusingly. Your answer satisfies every part of my concern, thanks.

{url: andrewgauger.com, skype: andrgaug, email: andg@andrewgauger.com, car: 25, fb: facebook.com/DonatoArrighi, github: andg.github.io, assets:https://s3.amazonaws.com/3400}
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

alldatadiy wrote:When minimum cooling is required, the BCM will command the PCM to energize cooling fan relay #1 and since both fans are connected in series through the Mode Control relay, both fans will operate at low speed. When maximum cooling is required, the BCM will command the PCM to energize all three cooling fan relays. Power is supplied to the left fan through cooling fan relay #1 and is grounded through the Mode Control relay. The right fan is powered directly through cooling fan relay #2 causing both fans to operate at high speed.
Need to determine how to control fan relay with minimum output pins.

Likely to tap all three wires in underhood fusebox like the fuel pump and connect using 3 pin harness to ECU. Include the fuel pump in harness, up to 4 pins for fusebox to ECU. Battery, power, and ground likely to come from internal fuse box. Initial design will operate cooling fan at maximum by connecting all three wires.

Fred

Post by Fred »

andg wrote:Need to determine how to control fan relay with minimum output pins.
Saw this coming 5+ years ago, 90 pins available, don't be shy about trying to use them all up :-)

Currently 8 are configurable, but that is arbitrary and can easily grow: http://builds.freeems.org/firmware/dev/ ... tml#l00203
Likely to tap all three wires in underhood fusebox like the fuel pump and connect using 3 pin harness to ECU. Include the fuel pump in harness, up to 4 pins for fusebox to ECU. Battery, power, and ground likely to come from internal fuse box. Initial design will operate cooling fan at maximum by connecting all three wires.
See above, do it right the first time :-)
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

Fred wrote: See above, do it right the first time :-)
Oh, so I guess I ought to explain that I'm going to get the car running with the ECU outside the final location then work to implement features like hi/lo fans as I bring the ECU into the passenger compartment.

I want to start the engine with as vanilla as possible then create my development roadmap.

Would you recommend that I just get the fan control nailed before attempting first start?

Fred

Post by Fred »

I guess the normal route is to wire pretty much everything up, test each connection as you go, get all sensors and solenoids behaving with key on and engine off, then configure the entire system and all sensors calibrated, then get cranking timing calibrated with a timing light, then add fueling, and then smile as it effortlessly bursts into life.
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

Replaced the oil pressure sending unit since it was just a waterfall of oil. Cleaned the block near the sensor. Found the knock sensor as well while I was completing the oil pressure sending unit swap (how exciting huh?) Firmed plans for the Jaguar and waiting for the S10 to run. Shouldn't be much longer before the fun of building the board begins.

andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

OK, so beginning to plan the infrastructure for the car, since hardware is starting to appear. Here is the beginnings of the 'logger/interfacer'

Eee

I have 2 of these machines. One might be a higher spec, currently running windows 7 Home premium. This PC will have an iPad connected with USB to enable 4G internet access. This machine will have a VM running ubuntu 12.04 (or 13.04). This VM will have USB pass through for the Jaguar connector. This VM will log as much data as possible. Possibly planning to upload real time data to s3.

the windows host will provide wireless internet access to laptop or anything else connected, including the dash. USB connected iPad with Verizon 4G service will provide internet access to the host which will (likely using the ubuntu VM) provide an internet proxy.

Kindle Fire HD

The Dash will connect to the wireless network and provide the up/down shift signals from the touch interface. The dash will x11 terminal into the linux VM and output EMS Studio. [s]That means that I will need to maintain a fork of EMSStudio that extends with the touch interface.[/s] I think I can have multiple X11 sessions, so what I would do is overlay another window to another running program on the PC. I'll need to write a program that displays words within the frame of the session and respond to click anywhere within the operating window. Launch two of these on either side of the dash outputting different signals. Now how do I get those signals to my TCU?

EeePC runs 6 USB ports, eSATA, SD MMC, vga. The other one runs HDMI and moves USB port to front by power button and runs an 'Nvidia ION'. This one would be better for direct attached video, as the video processing is better, and it already runs Windows 7 Home Pro. Both have gb Ethernet, and WiFi

I'm linking the Jaguar 0.5-alpha TODO to monitor progress on the 0.5 version of the board.

STILL HOPING TO RUN 0.4!
Attachments
over dash
over dash
under dash
under dash
Last edited by andg on Mon May 13, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.