building a harness

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

building a harness

Post by andg »

Since the car I want to upgrade is my daily driver, I'm taking a measured approach to the project. I'm going to get started by building my harness. Car is a 99 Grand AM with a 3400. Here's what I can assemble that I need to get for the harness:

2 input - RPM
  • Cam sensor
  • Crank sensor
intake sensors
  • Mass air flow
  • Manifold absolute pressure
  • intake temperature
  • throttle position

output
  • idle control
  • 6 injectors
  • ignition advance (2 connectors on the GM DIS?)
  • fan
  • fuel pump
According to the Jaguar readme there are core inputs '7 Standard 'CORE' analog inputs (IAT,MAT,CHT,TPS,EXO,BRV,MAP)' and I'm assuming I'm missing some. Someone who speaks geek would be helpful to elaborate the additional sensor data I'm missing.
Last edited by Fred on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improved formatting.

Code: Select all

{url: andrewgauger.com, skype: andrgaug, email: andg@andrewgauger.com, car: 25, fb: facebook.com/DonatoArrighi, github: andg.github.io, assets:https://s3.amazonaws.com/3400}
Fred

Re: building a harness

Post by Fred »

Some pointers:
  • EGO = wideband oxygen sensor in exhaust stream, you'll need one of those unless you have a functional crystal ball.
  • BRV = battery, this comes for free, but run a separate sense wire for it, don't share the power feed to the ECU.
  • MAT is an extra/spare sensor, ignore this.
  • CHT = coolant/head temperature, you need this, even if you live in AZ.
And:
  • Mass air flow = waste of time, forget about it for now, if not for ever.
  • Idle control = future feature, yours, being GM, is trickier than necessary.
  • Wire up for 6 injectors, however you'll have three pairs of two for starters.
And:

Next time add some formatting to your posts to make them easier to read ;-)

Andy can explain the DIS stuff next week, if you still need it by then.

PS, I de-n00bed you, so you can post freely, do a good job of it ;-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

Great. I got a write up begun project plan on github

{url: andrewgauger.com, skype: andrgaug, email: andg@andrewgauger.com, car: 25, fb: facebook.com/DonatoArrighi, github: andg.github.io, assets:https://s3.amazonaws.com/3400}
Fred

Post by Fred »

Re injectors, you can run it batch if you want, but that sucks. Split it up into 6 individual wires for sequential later, then join in 3 pairs at the ECU.
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

So I'm thinking about using this connector configuration on my Adapt9S12XDP512M2 XGATE MCU Module. What considerations should I evaluate for picking the connectors?

Fred

Post by Fred »

Have you already ordered a TA card? If not, you should probably get a Jaguar from Andy... If so, you should probably get a Jaguar from Andy anyway... it's custom made for your engine and setup. TA == pain. Ask anyone that's done it. It's fun, but difficult to get right. I hope Sim and Peter and Preston and Sean and I all say something about this. I just did, so that's me covered. Preston's in Dubai, so we won't hear from him again. RIP Presto. The rest? Speak up :-)
andg
SOT-223 - Salvaje

Post by andg »

Oh, I'm building with the Jaguar to spec, I've forked it on github just to draw attention. I also hope to run the board Sean has on his rail first to get the numerically least spot on the 'cars running FreeEMS' list possible. My biggest concern is what hardware I need to be running to commit to vanilla. I'm hoping to win 'Most PCBs run on a single car'.

In order to get it to run I'm going to need a separate or integrated controller for the electronically controlled Tranny. That's right I need to patch in that D sub transmission plug to control voltage to a gate to engage the transmission and then one for FWD/REV and 2 to shift from first to third. My transmission interface will be that of thumb slaps that engage up/down shifting, probably just get some dorky button on the steering wheel for reverse.

AG

Peter
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Peter »

DIY HW is pretty tedious to do. The worst part is when you have a problem it's fairly hard to track down, and it's a very do it yourself problem. Verses a do it together problem where you can ask many different people for help. On my first FreeEMS ECU I couldn't figure out why my BRV circuit wasn't reading a value, and I never did figure it out. I ended up having to solder together another BRV circuit somewhere else on the board. The analog circuit areas turned into rat's nests on both my boards, despite my best efforts to keep them pretty. On my latest board I used the same diodes that they're using on the Ravage board for protection of the adc pins. Quite the royal pain to solder a lot of small surface mount packages to a through hole proto board. Also I started having a strange sync loss problem after several months of using it as a daily driver. I either left some flux that was conducting some electricity between a few pins, or I didn't get one of the tiny legs of the MAX9926 chip soldered down very well. Either way I'm guilty of some poor quality control.

When I was first thinking about DIY HW I think Fred tried to talk me out of it. I remember him saying something about most people who buy TA cards never get a working ECU built. I took that as a challenge, but I now understand why it's true.
:-p
Fred

Post by Fred »

Great post, Peter!

Andy, what part of "purpose built for GM V6s" don't you understand? They're pretty inexpensive compared to a PowerEFI F16, too :-)

Rushing to get a placing is a sure fire way to get a worse placing than you could have, too. Though I do like a good race. You're on! :-)

Manualise your auto FTW :-)

Fred.
Ronin7
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Ronin7 »

Fred wrote:Have you already ordered a TA card? If not, you should probably get a Jaguar from Andy... If so, you should probably get a Jaguar from Andy anyway... it's custom made for your engine and setup. TA == pain. Ask anyone that's done it. It's fun, but difficult to get right. I hope Sim and Peter and Preston and Sean and I all say something about this. I just did, so that's me covered. Preston's in Dubai, so we won't hear from him again. RIP Presto. The rest? Speak up :-)
Fred- sorry to butt in here (long time watcher, first time poster) but Does Andy have Jaguar boards? I'm asking because I have several GM 60degree V6 projects?

Thanks,

Nathan
Albuquerque NM