new looking to learn more about open source EFI

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Wurtle38
TO92 - Vaguely active

new looking to learn more about open source EFI

Post by Wurtle38 »

I found this stuff searching for open source EFI so I can get my camaro running right. it's an '85 camaro with an SFI 4.3L V6 and wiring from a 2000 blazer. I have gotten it running but the passlock II is a pain in the butt I'd like to turn it off and it throws up engine codes for things like the O2 sensor that used to go after the cat. the wiring was a nightmare because it went everywhere and came back so I'd like something where the sensors go to the ECU then out to the fuel injectors and maybe a cable to run the gauges.
I've seen the box called the Jaguar but not really sure what it does. do I need it with an ODBII engine? I do have ubuntu on my laptop and can get a cable. is there software that reads and writes to edit the computers firmware? I do have other 80's cars with EFI like my '88 suburban and '85 MR2 but they run good so I don't want to screw them up till I know what I'm doing. no idea where to get started with this since I'm not an engineer. I also have ECUs for the original MPI 2.8L V6, and an '88 TBI 4.3L V6 if they would help me
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: new looking to learn more about open source EFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Welcome to diyefi.org ! :-)

As the designer of the JAGuar PCB and owner of 2 GM engines running on the JAGuar with FreeEMS, I can help you straighten out the mess you are in. Are you wanting to keep the GM factory ECU from the 2000 Blazer (ie: just disable PASSLOCK) or are you wanting replace the factory ECU with an aftermarket system?

The JAGuar PCB is a replacement for your factory ECU, it uses the factory throttle position sensor (TPS), the factory coolant and intake air temperature sensors, but the JAGuar PCB has a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor of its own instead of using the factory MAP sensor at this point in time. You will need a Wideband Oxygen (WBO2) sensor and controller such as an Innovate Motorsports LC-1 which needs to be in or very close to the exhaust manifold to work properly.

With the proper preparation, it would take about 2 days to convert your engine over to FreeEMS, I can show you how I converted my 1996 Chevrolet S10 with the 2.2L 4 cylinder using a junk ECU case (so I could use the factory wiring harness).

I can be found on IRC (irc.freenode.net) on #freeems (which is for FreeEMS user questions) just mention my nickname, DeuceEFI, and we can help answer all your questions in near real-time or we can continue to use the forum.

:-)