getting started

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
JareeB
QFP80 - Contributor

getting started

Post by JareeB »

im not sure how to really start with freeems. i saw in the update thread that you use Adapt9S12XDP512M2 XGATE MCU Module, and im not sure what you do once you buy that. plan is to start with a small engine and work up to my ford ranger.
plans to build a 300whp turbo ford ranger with a 2.3l engine the ford lima!
current rig: 1994 ford ranger 2.3. good platform for my almost complete turbo engine. a237 cam, stock t3 turbo, ported and polished head. just needs some mangement!!
Fred

Re: getting started

Post by Fred »

I'd probably recommend not buying a CPU module and waiting for a full board solution from Andy or Dan or someone. Most people who buy CPU modules don't ever get them onto a car. Most people who get real boards do. Fact of life :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
JareeB
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by JareeB »

thanks for the fast approval. im really excited about finding this website/forum. is there any schematics around that work? that i could have made into a pcb? also how close is the programming language to arduino?
current rig: 1994 ford ranger 2.3. good platform for my almost complete turbo engine. a237 cam, stock t3 turbo, ported and polished head. just needs some mangement!!
JareeB
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by JareeB »

i found the pcb file for jaguar and the files on how to put it together. how would i get it made into a pcb?
Dan
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Dan »

Yep, Fred is correct. DeuceEFI here on the forums (Andy) has developed hardware called Jaguar which is excellent and is continually improving. I am also very close to releasing hardware called RavAGE as well. Both designs are very good and are subject to strict development guidelines. What are your current injector, ignitor requirements and crank/cam sensor specs? Welcome to the forums!
Fred

Post by Fred »

JareeB wrote:i found the pcb file for jaguar and the files on how to put it together. how would i get it made into a pcb?
Tame the excitement, read this: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1699 and get a partial unit from Andy in, hopefully, less than a month or so. This represents a saving on special tools and equipment required to assemble one from the ground up, and supports Andy who deserves some support :-) Win Win Win.
JareeB
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by JareeB »

@dan, i could run high or low inpulse injectors doesn't matter to me i can get either one. for ingnitor i would just run ls coils to keep it simple. crank/cam sensor i belive the ford 2.3 with edis has the 36-1 gear on the crank, ill look into that, but obd2 rangers with 2.3 engine have both a crank and a cam sensor, the cam sensor is on the valve cover so i could just swap the cover onto my obd1 engine.

@fred, sorry haha its that time of year i guess.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Get some modern high-z injectors and save yourself a lot of unnecessary pain ;-)
JareeB
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by JareeB »

alright. where would i find on here the update threads for the RavAGE. i couldnt seem to find that one on here.

edit: found it on my own.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1217