Looking to get involved

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
max
TO220 - Visibile

Looking to get involved

Post by max »

Hello all

This is a quick message to introduce myself. This project looks like an extremely noble cause, one that I would like to help with both as a tester and hopefully as a developer.

I have been programming for about 10 years although I must admit usually in higher level languages and my EMS knowledge is somewhat limited. This being said, I am resourceful and can learn anything required.

I have a car which I can use this project on but I would want to keep it also running with the original ecu until I have a reliable set up because I use the car for track days. I can't see that as a huge problem although if it is I will get another car for the project. The car is a Nissan 200sx S14 which has a turbocharged SR20DET engine. It has COPs so I would probably run these sequentially and then use batch / semi batch injection. Is that what would be recommended?

I'm a bit confused and paralysed with where to start, there is a lot to this project. Should my starting place be creating / modifying a decoder for the SR20DET CAS?

Any advice on first steps into this fascinating project would be greatly appreciated.

Max
Fred

Re: Looking to get involved

Post by Fred »

Hey Max! Welcome along :-)

I saw your email too, but have been very busy recently, hence delayed response here as well.

The SR20DET 200sx will be fine for testing/experimentation, don't worry about that. The configuration you mention is one of the two best options at the moment, and which to run comes down to coil durability and personal taste. Certainly, that's the safe and conservative option. If you're on a stock or similary small turbo/injectors, then that will run admirably. Later you can have your cake and eat it too.

Best way to start is to just hang around, keep up to date with latest posts, get in IRC, meet the team, etc :-) After loitering for a while you'll get a better feel for it.

I'd not recommend working on an SR decoder, or any other firmware stuff, for a while, for a few reasons:
  • The base for one already exists, so it would be duplicated work.
  • That base is of dubious quality, and I'd like to work with Sean to bring it up to a high standard before it is diversified.
  • I'm not accepting any contributions to the firmware until A) 0.2.0 is released and B) the contribution guidelines are published.
I hope that helps you :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
BenFenner
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by BenFenner »

Welcome to the fold. Hanging out in IRC on the freenode server, channels #freeems-dev, #freeems, and #freeems-ot will give you a better idea of where things are right now. As far as running an engine, it seems the Jaguar hardware design is easiest to get right now, or you could maybe wait for the RavAGE design to flesh out. I agree right now it would make sense to run the COP properly and use semi-sequential injection for the fuel. I can't wait for there to be more than 6 of these outputs. When that happens you can go full sequential with the fuel.

It would be nice to see someone with an SR20 get running and testing. It is a motor I'm pretty familiar with.
max
TO220 - Visibile

Post by max »

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, I'll try to swing by IRC and say hello. When are people usually active online?

No problem with the firmware. I got the build running on my machine without issue but I will hold fire until you want the help. In the meantime I have web development skills (not design) and can write English so can help out if you have anything sat on a todo list that a noob could do.

The SR block, injectors and turbo are stock but it does have breathing mods and fmic. Currently running strong at about 1.1 bar which is as far as I really want to take the injectors.

I'm ready to start playing so getting hold of "Jaguar" (whatever that is!) might be a good step for me. I can then switch to better hardware designs as they are created. I don't mind doing and redoing. This is a hobby and fun, I'm not looking for turn-key or install and forget.

I'll do a forum search for Jaguar and see what I learn :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Attention to detail/grammar will get you far with me (and Ben too! Among a list of other friendly pedantic Nazis...) :-)

Re online, currently I'm on 18 or so hours a day, and I'm in your time zone, so when ever suits you ;-)

Picking up a Jag is a good step, or any sort of dev hardware. Hop into IRC, there might be something in the works that would suit you, or not.

Fred.
Dan

Post by Dan »

welcome max!

I am currently on holidays, keen to talk sometime after the beginning of next week if you are. skype or irc !

:-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

You're within 24hrs drive of each other right now :-)
max
TO220 - Visibile

Post by max »

I can be on either, just give me a shout. What is your name on IRC usually?

Max
Dan

Post by Dan »

irc name is "RavAGEr"

I havent been around much lately, but that will change after the next few days.
max
TO220 - Visibile

Post by max »

Not managed to catch up on IRC

Can we speak here or email?