Suzuki GS450 CDI Replacement

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Tazergnome
TO92 - Vaguely active

Suzuki GS450 CDI Replacement

Post by Tazergnome »

I found this forum because I just got a free bike from a stranger I started up a conversation with. It was parked with the CDI box broken, about a $500 part. So I learnt how the cdi worked and figgured that the same thing and more could be done with a micro controller like an Arduino. I haven't read through anything but the intro post, so if I ask something obvious please excuse me. While the Arduino might be overkill for just cdi box replacement I plan on making it control and monitor allot more than that on the bike. Now, I don't know what hardware is being used for this project so far, so there might be a better board than Arduino that is already being used?
My basic goal is to make a system to control ignition and fuel (look for diy fuel injector options. Retrofit vs. Custom fab) while also monitoring heat, rpm, and speed. I want to have the system interfaced with a computer system that will act as a interment cluster/ control panel as well as gps and other spiffy car computer type tasks. From what I've read so far that is all well within the scope of this project.

So if someone can point me in the right direction to get started I would be grateful.

I think it is also worth mentioning that I am working with Free Geek in Fayetteville AR. Many great minds and programmers as well as access to a rep rap printer as well as a circuit board printer in the works.

Since I've been thinking about this I've also started eyeing my 1987 VW MK2 Golf as a project for this. Some of the guys at Free Geek have been throwing the idea of an open source engine around and I think this is a great project to start that.
sepp2gl
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Suzuki GS450 CDI Replacement

Post by sepp2gl »

Hi Tazergnome,
try to google "Ignitech".
It is from a Czech-company and will be around 150$ (~120€) in price.
It is a controller-based 2-channel ignition with spark-map and some sekondary functions.
I am not sure, that it works as a replacement for CDI, because ignitech supports inductive coil ignition rather than capacitive discharge CDI. But its worth to contact ignitech to make sure.
I use one for my Honda CB750.

kr, sepp2gl
Everything keeps being better... ;)
Tazergnome
TO92 - Vaguely active

Re: Suzuki GS450 CDI Replacement

Post by Tazergnome »

Thats fantastic, I just happen to have a cb750 too. I'm in the middle of rebuilding it as my main project. I've glanced at the GS every once in a blue moon. My CB has a Dyno I think. I was surprised when I found it in there. But it's a basket case. It was used for drag for a while till it got a chain through the case and probably got sold to someone who knew nothing about wiring. Someone replaced the fuses with 10A higher fuses...then fried the wiring harness and spliced it together with clear tape and gum. So I'm making a new one.
The coils were also buggered up. I got coils from a later DOHC 750 because they are said to work better with solid state points.