Getting started.

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
JareeB
QFP80 - Contributor

Getting started.

Post by JareeB »

I know I have asked a question like this before. I'm just making a new thread to ask a few questions and to hopefully actually get me started.

1st- What PCB design program is everyone using. "Best" free one? (windows 7)
2nd- Current simplest ignition type to use with FreeEMS software/firmware. (just running one spark plug)
3rd- Any tutorials on PCB layout.
4th- Links to different driver circuits. (injector, ignition, map, crank sensor, ETC)

Hope this thread isn't going to waste anyone's' time. Thanks in advance for all the help!
plans to build a 300whp turbo ford ranger with a 2.3l engine the ford lima!
current rig: 1994 ford ranger 2.3. good platform for my almost complete turbo engine. a237 cam, stock t3 turbo, ported and polished head. just needs some mangement!!
ivan141
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Getting started.

Post by ivan141 »

I'm not the go-to guy for these things, but I am mostly self-taught in PCB design so I know what it's like to get started.
-PCB designer: I use Eagle (which is strictly only free for small non-commercial stuff).. easy to use and well known among the DIY crowd.
Want it to be more free: use KiCad.
-Ignition type for single sparkplug: the world is your oyster, but I personally like the logic level driven Chevy LS coils. No hassle with driver circuitry.
-Tutorials: first choose a designer, the tutorials will follow from that.
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
JareeB
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by JareeB »

ill have to check that one out. i have designspark installed right now. i think the ls coils are a very nice setup. im unsure of crank triggers as well.
current rig: 1994 ford ranger 2.3. good platform for my almost complete turbo engine. a237 cam, stock t3 turbo, ported and polished head. just needs some mangement!!
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by malcom2073 »

1: Eagle is very nice for the wide variety of libraries available and the ease of use, but is crippleware in that you have to pay to design boards beyond certain limitations. Kicad is an open source alternative, but is a bit harder to use and the library setup on windows is not as intuitive or well documented. That being said, it is very powerful and certainly worth trying out.

2: Simplest? Probably ls coils as you said.

3: There are a *ton* of youtube videos on both Eagle and Kicad

4: Best place to look is probably the reference hardware of choice: https://github.com/DeuceEFI/Jaguar . It has everything needed to run an engine :)
JareeB
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by JareeB »

this is good info guys thank you. ill do plan on going over the top builds to see how everyone else is approching this.
Kenmogg60
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Kenmogg60 »

Great starting point now to find the other jag related hw posts