Number Of Engines Run By 2013, Place Bets Here!

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

Number Of Engines Run By 2013, Place Bets Here!

Post by Fred »

May the closest person win! I'm yet to sit down and seriously think about this. I did pass comment that I thought 100 would be running, however that was pure speculation, so I'll not use that as my guess and do some more work on the subject instead and post once I've decided on a number.

I say that we all put in 1USD and the closest person takes the pool.

We clearly need a cut off for the guesses too. Too soon will mean not a very big pool. Too late will mean later entries have an advantage. Perhaps we need another pool to start in June with cut off being end of June and cut this one off end of January?

Thoughts?

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Number Of Engines Run By 2013, Place Bets Here!

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Fred wrote:We clearly need a cut off for the guesses too. Too soon will mean not a very big pool. Too late will mean later entries have an advantage.
Since it can swing vastly depending on how the documentation continues to evolve (which can alter the demographic depending on how much handholding is written in) and the improvements promised in future hardware platforms, I think your cutoff dates are a good idea. I'm going to go with a count of 45 right now if "running" means vehicles that can crank and rev until out of fuel. However, I'm not basing this on emerging features and hope to be left in the dust.

Perhaps all the money can go to the project, but everyone pays $1 to enter and a wall of fame could list the winners by year. Maybe a framed "201x Winner" circuitboard with a hand etched logo and some core team member autographs on it if a memento's preferred.

-Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

I like the do it every year thing! I hadn't thought of that, one year at a time, etc :-)

Thinking logically, it almost can't be less than 8 engines per 10 months, which is how long it's been since car 2 fired up, to the day. Thus people betting under 19 are fairly stupid :-) I can't see the growth rate staying flat, though. Even if the system didn't improve much it would likely grow a bit.

Fred.
oden
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by oden »

1) Ravage needs to be stable
2) Decent documentation that covers most of the question someone would have

IMO its point 2 that is failing the project. I would expect doco to be at a reasonable level by March. The growth in new users will be a slow increase, as more new users come in it will encourage more so the growth might not be linear. By the EOF things will be busy.

The slow start will hold the numbers back alittle, but I guess 72 just to be different.
201x Winner" circuitboard with a hand etched logo and some core team member autographs on it
Love it!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Don't kill me, but good docs = marketing and I've been neglecting the detailed stuff somewhat on purpose because the sort of people who I want involved are the sort who are hands on and up to their **** in the forums involved with it. I guess that's starting to change, though. And then there is point 3) for your list, stable firmware with full tuning capability, and the basic features that everyone needs. We don't have that yet, despite the cars driving around running well :-) I still only want the right sort of people for the time being, but that's taking care of itself for now. Hopefully by the time you and I have taken care of 2 Sean and Dave and Ben and I will have taken care of 3.