FreeEMS on Nissan VQ30 or VQ35 engine in Locost (homemade)

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Andreas
LQFP112 - Up with the play

FreeEMS on Nissan VQ30 or VQ35 engine in Locost (homemade)

Post by Andreas »

I am at the planning stages of building a mid engine Locost similar to one found on http://www.midlana.com -- basically a street legal race car. I have been looking at driveline choices for a while and I think I want to go with the VQ35 from a Maxima. It is reliable, light and powerful, but also has some crazy security in it. I'm thinking that it won't really be a problem because I will buy the whole car and have the keys. I can then transplant the whole thing to the project car. I'm not 100% sure that will work since I will not be bringing everything over to the new car (AC, power steering, power brakes, and probably a bunch of other stuff.)

I really want to run my own EMS so I can do more interesting things like traction control; adjusting angle of wings depending on speed, steering angle, brakes; launch and shifting RPM control; controlling pressure of a supercharger (probably not needed!); whatever else I want to dream up. :ugeek:

I initially thought FreeEMS all the way, then thought I should go Megasquirt because of hardware availability and larger user base, then read a little more and found out about coding and hardware issues and I think I want to go FreeEMS.

I have a background in coding, some digital electronics, and lots of other stuff. I can learn anything, but only know a bit about cars and the EMS lingo, therefore would greatly appreciate some input about what I'm getting myself into.

Can anyone give me some free opinionated advice?? :D

Is getting this engine running possible with FreeEMS? ...right now or with extra coding? Is FreeEMS the way to go? :)

TIA!
Fred

Re: FreeEMS on Nissan VQ30 or VQ35 engine in Locost (homemad

Post by Fred »

Got skype? I'd be happy to chat about what you should choose based on a conversation where I can get quick feedback from you about your needs etc.

Re VQ30 being runnable as is, do some homework on what crank/cam signals they have, manifold controls, VVT, DBW, etc. Post that up here. With extra coding, yes, if not already.

The customisability of FreeEMS is certainly a plus for your goals. And M$ certainly does have countless issues, too. FreeEMS also has countless issues, just different ones, and more solvable.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I found what I think is a pretty good pdf of the engine specs and sensors that the VQ35 has here: http://www.ismcentral.com/DTC/g35%20_specs.pdf

I know it is better if I post the info in this thread, but the doc is long and I'm not sure if this is the info you would need.

I do have Skype. I'll PM you my username. Thanks so much!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Crankshaft/Camshaft P/Sen POS/Phase
At 77°F (25°C) Except 0 Ω or infinite Ω
That's insufficient information, sadly. You'll likely have to get your hands on a vehicle or engine to determine this. In a car, you can tap the right wires and scope the signals. On a stand you can do the same cranking, or pull it open enough to see what you need to see.

You'd need the same exact info for a Mega$quirt install, or any other standalone, for that matter, and it's up to you to find it and prove it. I did have a look around, but found no info, sorry.

Fred.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I found this thread, but the pics are not showing up for me. Is this info helpful in the least? :?

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 7&start=20
Fred

Post by Fred »

In the least yes, but not enough to make it run, yet. From James' comments, it will require custom work. Whether that's "hard" or "easy" work is hard to say without photos and/or scope traces. Do you own the engine yet?
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Ha ha, yes in the least.

I do not have the engine. I will buy a donor only if I know I can get it to run! I have a friend I can borrow a scope from when I get the car. I also will not be afraid to modify/take apart the engine to get it to work. I just want to make sure it is possible and won't take me 50 hours to do it. It is just a matter of defining how many pulses the sensor is sending out per revolution in the code? ...or changing a function to define what degree the crank is at?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Nice chatting! Let me know what decision(s) you take with respect to electronics and/or engines :-)

Can you get it to run with no firmware changes? Maybe. Optimistic, unlikely.
Can you get it to run with quick/easy firmware changes? Possibly. Realistic, good chance.
Can you get it to run with difficult/time consuming firmware changes/additions? Definitely. Worst case, 50% chance.
Will it be impossible to run? No. :-)

Fred.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Thanks for all the good advice. I plan on trying to get the engine to run on FreeEMS. It might take awhile, but I will get there... I have a toddler at home so all things take more time than they used to!