Where to Start.....

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Peter
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Where to Start.....

Post by Peter »

I'm not sure if a gas engine makes enough pressure and heat to cause this, but I'd never put hydrogen into one of my loves due to hydrogen embrittlement. The basic principle is that the hydrogen molecules are so small that they can wedge themselfs into the crystal structure of the steel. The hydrogen can also diffuse out of the steel, but if the pressure gets high enough the hydrogen will bond with the carbon which makes methane. Methane can't diffuse out of the steel, and will eventually cause it to crack if there gets to be enough methane in the steel. But like I said I have no idea if it would happen in a gas engine.
:-p
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hmm, interesting thoughts. It may or may not be an issue with engines, but it certainly is with welding!
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
NinjaRider
DIP8 - Involved

Post by NinjaRider »

thanks for the info on hydrogen enbrittlement. something i now have to research because i might try to get to a pressure were this might be possible. in the event i do it will be a split system as to vent hydrogen to atmosphere and leave the oxygen enrichment in place.