Newbee questions on injected LPG for a 289 windsor

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

Re: Newbee questions on injected LPG for a 289 windsor

Post by Fred »

The 360 slots are not read directly, they are only counted. The CPU load from attempting to read those would be far far too high. They are counted and used for ID, so the number counted during the small windows is 2/4 and during the larger is maybe 12/24 and the inverse in between such that the sum of all is 360/720.

If you source an LT1 disk or a VH45 disk you'll be OK, probably, assuming that it fits.

I'll reply to your earlier post now.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

oden wrote:Any reference diagram for optical sensors in CAS. I have seen sim's Volvo 245 using a SN74HC368N, is that the best way of doing it?
You just need a 1k pull up, maybe lower, but not higher resistance, a tiny 15nF cap and a logic inverter chip. It's very straight forward. If you pass it through a schmidtt trigger before the inverter or as the inverter, you're going to be a lot more noise resistant. Might be worth looking into. There isn't really a ref because it's so simple and straight forward :-)
My dash currently displays engine temp (CTS) and it will be very messy to install a second sensor. Is it possible (and how) to use an analogue out to pass this reading to the dash?
If this is possible, then you're likely on your own about how to do it. Typical sensors for gauge units are way different resistance level to a sensor for ECU use. You'd have to find a good bias value and generate a curve for it. Gauge is likely 12v and ecu is 5v too. The temp input and processing is totally flexible, so if you find a V divider that can attach to your gauge/sensor and show 0-5 for the input pin, and you can get temps for each V read, then you can map that in the code and get a valid reading. This should work, but might make your "very messy to install" look easy :-)
Ravage sheet 6, what is the ACC and injector ground lift monitor for and how is it connected? Could not find any info on the forum search about this.
Don't worry about it. If you're rocking LS1 coils and jbperf p&h boards you don't need it anyway, your cpu board will not be under any appreciable load. You COULD run a ground ref back from the P&H boards and monitor them, though, whcih would be cool. When you draw load on a ground wire, it raises in voltage, if the ground on the CPU is unloaded then it's close to zero, and the loaded P&H board ground will be higher, and this can tell you how much, ie, how shit your wiring is or isn't :-)
My injectors will be 3 ohms, is the Puma schematic still the best peak & hold driver to utilise?
I would strongly recommend ordering a pair of p&h injector driver boards from Jean at jbperf.com, they're about 50usd each for a kit. You can mount them in an allow case with some heat sinking and a seal in the engine bay somewhere convenient to keep the high current and noise where it belongs - away from the EMS. I've done a neat install of one of these on a 4 cyl in NZ and I can upload some good pics if you want.
Has a PCB been designed for the Ravage board? The Altium project on git hub only has schematics
Not yet, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1375

I hope that helped! :-)

Fred.
oden
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by oden »

Thanks for your reply, great info.

Yeah you are right, 2 CTS would be the simpler way to go.

The LT1 disk does not look compatible and its a little hard for me to source.
DIYautotune has a suitable disk that acts like a 12-1 crank trigger with an outer cam sync. http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/opti ... p-472.html. Would this be a good path to take?

Looks like I will be ordering peak & hold and JimStim anyway.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I don't like the design of that disk, at all, and for a number of reasons, though it could be made to work. Right now the MissingTeeth code is a bit dodgy in some ways, but last time we spoke on this topic it didn't exist, so by the time you're ready to use it it will likely be in good shape :-)

Putting a long slot on the outer edge like that is dumb, sorry Jerry, not bright. Also, aligning the slot with the missing is dumb too. Plus the sensors are offset, so the correct positioning is NOT evenly spaced like that.

You'd be better off with a yoshi disk or variant of it. Seriously, if you're in a main centre, get on the phone and ring laser/water jet places until one will do you a cheap deal on a disk. They're not hard to draw up in QCAD and shouldn't cost much to do locally. Get s/s sheet if you can. Yoshi's ones are mild and rust. Oiling them is no good because the oil will come off on the lenses. Black zinc primer will work, but the OEM ones are all stainless.

It sounds like you can drop a 4/2 or 4/1 disk into that nissan housing.

If you can find one of those, I would be REALLY interested in how it looks to the code once running. So, my request to you, get one of those and check that it fits. Most mitsi and mazda four cyls have those disks in them. You got unlucky with the hall one last time :-) Though there are quite a few hall ones around. Hyundai 4g63 engines have that disk too and might be cheaper to get? I don't care if its 4/1 or 4/2 like pictured.

Also, quite a few of the ozzy ECU manufacturers sell simpler disks like the yoshi one for their units, look into that option.

Fred.
oden
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by oden »

Ok.
Based on the measurements the disks are the same. Will go off to a yard in the next few days and see what I can find.

GM LS1 MAF sensors are cheap because people are still doing MAFless tuning, just want to double check this a suitable sensor.
Fred

Post by Fred »

No one is running MAF yet, but it should be straight forward to support if you want to.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Though, personally, I dislike restrictions in my intake! :-) I say this because you say "still doing mafless tuning" - that's the norm and it ain't gunna change :-)
oden
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by oden »

Dont mean to disagree with you, but I was reading that Holden only did a short run of MAPless engines in Australia and never did it again both here or any where else.

Guess you are about to say if you tune the engine correctly (and it does not change) the MAF is not needed.

Well not doing it saves me $ and the hassles of setting it up ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Probably true! Most OEMs go with MAF for OEM reasons. It's true that with MAP if the mechanics change you need to retune, but that's half the fun, and not something that happens without a much larger-than-the-tuning-effort amount of time spent on the engine itself :-) Even if you have MAF and change the engine's mechanics, although the airflow is still measured right, the engine's needs for different conditions at different air flows do not, and it's still going to take a retune.

When I said what I said, I meant with standalones. What the OEMs do doesn't matter much, they have their reasons just as we have ours.

You're welcome to run MAF, I will support you if you do it, it's just not my personal preference because it means less power, just like carbs do :-)

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

BTW, another reason that MAF is annoying is that small air leaks screw your tune just like they did in carby days. MAP is immune to that :-)