Newbee questions on injected LPG for a 289 windsor

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

Re: Newbee questions on injected LPG for a 289 windsor

Post by Fred »

I was just talking about the disk, but all of the above is true :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
oden
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by oden »

Would there be sync issues using a 4-1 in a V8? would higher resolution such as 24-1 be better?

Picked up a Mitsubishi 4G64 which is 4-1, cheaply. Not sure it was a good idea.
Fred

Post by Fred »

That depends, given that it's probably exactly like the one on the left in this pic, but without the small inner slot, it's fine:

Plus, it's easy to swap the disk to the one on the right (the Yoshifab part) or even better, a FreeEMS one later.

Due to the fact that the slots are wide, you are actually getting 8 almost evenly spaced points per cycle. All that that means is that the time between event and ignition is slightly longer for 4 cylinders than the other 4, but that will only produce a slight difference in timing during a free revving situation, at any steady state or near steady state RPM (most driving) it will be near identical.

BTW, it's more evenly spaced than it looks due to diffraction of light :-) (69 degree electrical "slots" and 111 degree electrical "solids", not 60/120 as it appears)

Lastly, if it is like the one on the left, but without the small inner slot, the code is written and tested and usable. I can and will be improving it, but it's pretty good already.

I hope that answers your questions, onwards and upwards, get a photo in here :-)

Fred.
oden
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by oden »

Sorry for the poor quality pic.

You can see the outer lay of 4 flanges, there is also an inner layer (hard to see) that has one.
Attachments
Mitsubishi 4G64
Mitsubishi 4G64
Fred

Post by Fred »

No problem, yes, this is the same pattern, just hall, not optical, and should work VERY similarly, in fact, I'm very curious to get some readings from that sensor, as I've only tested optical ones and I suspect that the hall stuff is slightly different angle wise. I can and will configure hall and optical variants of them if necessary. We'll get to measuring the reality of your hall unit later. It should work just fine, however.

Fred.
oden
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by oden »

Decided to ditch the 4G64 CAS and found an optical sensor instead. The new CAS is from an Nissan 200sx (SR20DE), Image of the disk is attached. The inner track on the disk has 4 holes, one of which is alot larger then the other three. Next week I will begin modifying this to suit the engine.

Have a few more question:
-) Any reference diagram for optical sensors in CAS. I have seen sim's Volvo 245 using a SN74HC368N, is that the best way of doing it?
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1263&p=16424&hilit ... ern#p16424
-) My dash currently displays engine temp (CTS) and it will be very messy to install a second sensor. Is it possible (and how) to use an analogue out to pass this reading to the dash?
-) Ravage sheet 6, what is the ACC and injector ground lift monitor for and how is it connected? Could not find any info on the forum search about this.
-) My injectors will be 3 ohms, is the Puma schematic still the best peak & hold driver to utilise?
-) Has a PCB been designed for the Ravage board? The Altium project on git hub only has schematics

Sure there will be more stupid questions to follow ;)
Attachments
SR20DE CAS disk
SR20DE CAS disk
Fred

Post by Fred »

More later, but I would not recommend that on a V8, the only usable events on it are the 8 in the centre, and only 5 of those are usable really, and only four make sense to use. The wiring for Nissan style stuff has to be perfect too. The 4g63 stuff has 8 almost evenly spaced edges that would be useful for scheduling from for 8 cylinders. Back later for a more full reply.
oden
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by oden »

The circles in the center are not complete holes, they are only impressions so the optical sensor will not detect them.

So the center track only has 4 holes, 1 square and 3 smaller rectangles. I should have used a better background.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Now isn't later, yet, but I can see it clearly and each hole has 2 edges which can generate up to 1 event each yielding 8 events total. They're all so close together (in pairs), though, that it doesn't matter much, you may as well only have four.
oden
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by oden »

Discovered the thread about Ravage PCB's, so that question is answered.
Found thread 'Circuit REQUIREMENTS For ALL Decoders!' viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1331 so that one is answered as well.

Very confused with your comments. Your saving that the 360 slots in this disc are not suitable for a V8 engine, and fewer edges are better for my application?

I assumed the more data, more accurate positioning of the piston = better engine timing