Windows Tuning Application

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

Re: Windows Tuning Application

Post by Fred »

jharvey wrote:So I recall I could not uninstall the official 32 bit debs. I seem to recall it appeared they were configured via apt-get, and that typical tools like simplicity couldn't remove them, as those debs didn't follow typical Ubuntu practices. The 64 bit didn't work because those debs definitely didn't follow Ubuntu practices.

So, the Fred proclaimed "official" location has known issues that go unresolved, by official mechanism, as Fred doesn't have time to find some unimportant problem with the debs that do work. However he has time to remove posts about the packages that do work. Makes perfect sense to me....
Off topic, and, importantly, WRONG! Give the Ubuntu information a miss, Jared, the thread has Windows in the title....

32 bit on 64 can and does work, with warnings, while installing. The debs that follow Debian standards, which Ubuntu adheres to, because it is a DOWNSTREAM of Debian, work perfectly on multiple variations of 32 bit Debian AND Ubuntu. In contrast, the unofficial packages will NOT install on Lenny, which is currently a required target system. But, the key point, those unofficial debs have CONFLICTING version numbers, which is both against Debian policy, Ubuntu pollicy, my policy and general development basic practices. It is TOTALLY wrong and unacceptable, to publicise the existence of debs with DIFFERENT contents and the SAME version numbers. If you want to spend time trying to figure out WHICH 2.4.6 version of package XYZ you have, you know which forum to visit! This is a quality control thing, and a professionalism thing, and I won't bend on it, period. To quote Austin Powers, this is my bag, baby.

No more Ubuntu stuff in this thread, OK? Thanks.
Also if you can get it to compile on a windows machine, please let us know. We have not had people verify that the windows compile environment actually works.
WRONG! Your setup was the ONLY one that didn't work. It has been working on XP, Vista, 7, and probably 2k for 6+months, and XP and 7 for many more months before that, without fail. I worked through that with you one night, not too long ago, and verified it on several windows machines that weren't yours, that night. I can dig up quotes from you about your machine, if required. Just the other night I setup Abe's machine with both working OLV and working toolchain (thanks Dave, top work with that installer!) with built firmware, I did it in the passenger seat of his MX5 at 80mph on the freeway via a tethered android and did both, with the top down, the wind in my long and annoying hair, inside 30 mins on a virgin win 7 machine. There is no problem with the windows installer, period.
I tried a month or so ago and failed. Supposedly I failed because the instructions on tools.diyefi.org were wrong or something like that.
Nope, see above, your machine is corrupt and weird, you confessed this to me at the time.
The packages installed just fine, but I couldn't use them to create an S19 firmware file. Shrug, perhaps that fixed now.
That depends on your system, not the tools, which are simple and infallible. Don't make me dig up quotes :-p

No more posts on building firmware, in this thread, either, OK? Thanks.

Let's keep it on-topic about the man's win tuning package and anything related to that.

Jared, I'll give you a call this afternoon, sorry for the delay.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
eezo20v
TO220 - Visibile

Post by eezo20v »

Just for the record I have the firmware compiling using Visual Studio as the front end, and I assume mingw. The s19 compiles fine with no warnings, but I havent had a chance to compare my generated files to ones from the repository.

I am on a clean and up to date Windows 7 64bit box with Visual Studio 2010.

I am building my own loader application to test as I cannot get the linux versions compiling and its quite easy to do once I understand the comms protocol. I will have an update and I assume some sort of working sample in the next couple of weeks.

Ernest
Fred

Post by Fred »

eezo20v wrote:Just for the record I have the firmware compiling using Visual Studio as the front end, and I assume mingw. The s19 compiles fine with no warnings, but I havent had a chance to compare my generated files to ones from the repository.
I assume that you installed the package from the tools site, and that visual studio is just running make for you? I had a hunch that it would work fine for you ;-)

I look forward to seeing the windows loader in action :-)

Reading Sean's thread on his will give you some idea of the sort of features desired and required :-)

Fred.
eezo20v
TO220 - Visibile

Post by eezo20v »

Fred wrote:
eezo20v wrote:Just for the record I have the firmware compiling using Visual Studio as the front end, and I assume mingw. The s19 compiles fine with no warnings, but I havent had a chance to compare my generated files to ones from the repository.
I assume that you installed the package from the tools site, and that visual studio is just running make for you? I had a hunch that it would work fine for you ;-)

I look forward to seeing the windows loader in action :-)

Reading Sean's thread on his will give you some idea of the sort of features desired and required :-)

Fred.
Yes VS is just running make.

I have a weird issue that I a need some help with. If you look at the attached log, I transmit a byte ( $A9 and $0D in this example ) and get weird characters sent back before the actual data stream ( all the $3F and such ).
I assume the $E0 and $E1 is the start of the 'real' response?? If so, all the bytes prior to this is garbage???
My ECU is running in serial monitor mode ( again an assumption ), due to the fact I short out the load/run connector pins??
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Fred

Post by Fred »

You might like to use the code block feature for simple little things like that:

Code: Select all

Connected to COM2
TX: A9
3F 3F 3F 3F 40 
3F 3F 00 E0 80 40 40 20 20 10 10 07 00 3E 78 40 FE 
TX: A9
3F 3F 3F 3F 40 
3F 3F 00 E0 80 40 40 20 20 10 10 07 00 3E 78 40 FE 
TX: 0d
3F 3F E1 3F 3F 00 9F 78 40 FE 

Disconnected from COM2
This part on the first two "3F 3F 3F 3F 40 3F 3F 00" before the E0 seems like noise/garbage. What type of serial adapter do you have? If it's that noisy the load will be bad, most likely. Likewise the "3F 3F" before the E1 in the last one looks like garbage. I've also got no idea what the "78 40 FE" that each one ends in is. Nor what the 4 bytes following the E1 are in the last one.

Are your serial port settings correct for the serial monitor?

8 data bits
1 stop bit
no parity

Which is different from the firmware, as the firmware uses parity.

I wonder if you might interpret the preamble or other hardware bit patterns as a sequence of bytes if in the wrong mode. Just speculating, though.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Bump!