Time Line & Features

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
tpsretard
QFP80 - Contributor

Time Line & Features

Post by tpsretard »

Hello diyefier's

How that there is a spin1 board and a engine running on this :)
I would like to know if there is a realistic time line for the project.
What i am really asking is for the real boards. 3 months, 6 months?
just want something realistic.

Also what features are planed for the first launch.

I am asking as my MS2 is just not cutting it anymore :(
i hate it, but it has served its perpous as a stop gap.

Also will the next version have knock sensing on it.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: Time Line & Features

Post by jharvey »

Perhaps I'm a bit optimistic and I'd like to claim the next spin would happen in less than a month, but there are many items to address. Last I looked the list was some 37 items I wrote down to address. I believe most of the PCB changes have already been done, but I also haven't gotten a list of all the mods Fred changed, or why he changed them. Dev has been more important, once the dust settles we can get them all resolved. From the pictures, I believe there may be changes that haven't been noted yet. I think software is still very young and maturing daily, so that might be the hold up for the next spin.
Fred

Post by Fred »

putting the hip11? on there to use up the space freed by ditching bullshit stuff is a great idea.

tps, dont look at it like a product, its not.

when you say "real" boards what do you mean? something assembled? this one i've got feels pretty real.

one month is hyper optimistic. we need the LT1 decoder working first, and sleep code too, and bit bang, and the pin state research, and all the changes, and i want to check the design pre fabbing this time too.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
tpsretard
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by tpsretard »

No i know it is not a product.

I am asking this for my self, and for other people that come looking really.

I directed one or 2 people here in the last week, they all said the same thing, looks amazing but to hard to find the initial planed features with out going cross eyed from all the reading.

What i mean by real, is when will the next board that a nob like my self, can put together with out fairing that in 2 or 3 months it will change drastically.

smt is a pain for meas i have no experience or tooling for it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

tpsretard wrote:No i know it is not a product.

I am asking this for my self, and for other people that come looking really.
Fair enough!
I directed one or 2 people here in the last week, they all said the same thing, looks amazing but to hard to find the initial planed features with out going cross eyed from all the reading.
In the short term, 6 output channels(fuel and/or ign), any decoders that people with ready to run hardware need, basic EFI and EI features. Nothing fancy for a start. Add things as required. Do the basics well. Etc. Next features other than decoder stuff are prime pulse, post start enrich, rpm limit, boost limit
What i mean by real, is when will the next board that a nob like my self, can put together with out fairing that in 2 or 3 months it will change drastically.

smt is a pain for meas i have no experience or tooling for it.
Re change, not for a while, but change isn't too bad a thing, really, provided what you have does the job adequately. Re pita, yes, but doable.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
nitrousnrg
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by nitrousnrg »

Waiting for the Camaro might happen, or not. I don't really feel like sending boards to mfg in one month, but I won't wait for 5 months if I think everything is ready for another rev. I have people here that would happily pay for a spin2 prototype. My idea is to sell them assembled, maybe conformal coated, and with a case in the next bulk buy. Its just an idea.

IMO the 3 spin dev is unavoidable. The 2nd can be very close, but the real one is the 3rd. My optimistic thought is to have the 3rd spin passing MIL-STD 810 methods 501, 502, 503, 507 and 514 by january of 2012, just before the world cracks and explode as the mayas predicted. Anyway, I'm still reading about those certification things.

Sleep is something important to do for the next design. Soon we'll be discussing that.
Marcos
flyrdm
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by flyrdm »

I will be interested in coated/pre-assembled boards of Spin2 or Spin3. I enjoy assembly but have too many other projects going on right now :(