PUMA is a 100% open project ?

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
gsune
DIP8 - Involved

PUMA is a 100% open project ?

Post by gsune »

Hi.
think PUMA isn´t 100 % open because it is made in SMB,
so merely forced people to buy the marcos PCB.
Why not to install the CPU on a PCB daughter board ?
It is also difficult and confusing to access the source files.
I did not see if they share the files generated by CAD software, then we must begin to make it for ourselves again wasting valuable time to develope this great idea.
where can i download the software or firmware ?
forgive me for my harsh words.
I´m very interested in this project
Fred

Re: PUMA is a 100% open project ?

Post by Fred »

Ahhhhhhhhh, I typed a huge response to this exact cross posted message on facebook, and either it never made it to the server or you deleted it. I hope it wasn't the latter, if so, I'll be pretty angry. If it never made it, then I'm just extremely frustrated.

The summary answer is yes.

All schematics and source are available for everything.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I see now that you deleted it by accident while reposting with a word changed... grrrrrrrrrrr. I messaged you to send me the reply if you had it emailed to you.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Paste:

Hi, this project most certainly IS 100% open and free (libre y gratis)! No one is forced to buy the at-cost-price PCBs that Marcos has been kindly distributing, the CAD/PCB/layout/schematic files are all available from the previously linked http://puma.freeems.org/ site and the source repository that is linked from there. You can purchase a CPU on a daughter card from a Canadian company, however it will cost you MORE than Marcos sells his partly built units for. The mother board design for that card is not yet complete. The source files are not difficult or confusing to get hold of. They are available to browse online in two places, to download as zip/tar.gz and to clone using Git (the preferred option during dev). The software is MegaTunix, there is no prebuilt version that works with the latest firmware. You must build all components from source. See github for the latest source. That goes for log viewer, tuner, firmware, pcb design files, loader, etc. All on github.

This is not the original, the original was more helpful and longer and more structured, but you deleted it!!! So you dip out. Sorry!

Fred.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

gsune wrote:think PUMA isn´t 100 % open because it is made in SMB,
so merely forced people to buy the marcos PCB.
Sounds like you're not familiar with open source projects. You have access to both the design files (KICAD files) and Gerber files (PCB mfg files). If you like, you can use the Gerber's to make your own PCB either by sending to a MFG or by printing them out and etching the PCB yourself.
gsune wrote:Why not to install the CPU on a PCB daughter board ?
See the DFH version of the hardware. That design intent was to be excessively flexible, and made by about any one. It incorporates a PCB design that has both SMT and THRU hole component options. However, it's not finished and has not been prototyped yet. That design uses the TA card that Fred noted in the above post.
gsune wrote:It is also difficult and confusing to access the source files.
To an extent I would agree with you. However, if you consider it hard to find and download, I would wager guess you won't be successful in populating the parts on the board and programming it initially. You may want to wait until it's further along, such that you can purchase one that's pre-populated and programmed. This project is still very young, and maturing each day. There are currently several learning curve items, that heavily include MFG and design.
gsune wrote:I did not see if they share the files generated by CAD software, then we must begin to make it for ourselves again wasting valuable time to develope this great idea.
where can i download the software or firmware ?
There are several pieces of of that puzzel. Look at puma.freeeems.org, also this thread for the puma hardware viewtopic.php?f=53&t=884 it uses the firmware titled freeems-vanilla found on github.org, after it's physically built and programmed with the firmware, it uses PC tunning software. There are several options there, in varying levels of maturity. I believe those options are also on github.
gsune wrote:forgive me for my harsh words.
I´m very interested in this project
I'm curious what your interest are. Are you looking to build one for a project car? Are you looking to help develop or contribute? Also is English your first language? You have several basic English issues in your post. If you are interested in honing your English skills, I'm willing to offer some comments. Do you have skills and development tallents that might help make the hardware better? Also are you interested in contributing to a wiki such that this can be better documented in the future?
gsune
DIP8 - Involved

Post by gsune »

are you nagging me?
have to see my English language skills to contribute and use this project?
To participate in this forum i must have advanced knowledge in electronics, automotive engineering or english language?
or be working in NASA or General Motors?

YES, I want to make two or more ECU´S of this project for my vehicles and for vehicles of my friends here in Venezuela.
I´ll use them for purposes ofroad 4x4 vehicles
I became interested in this project because in this moment i am developing my own version of the megasquit, but since you have something better then it have more profit to invest my time and effort into something open and free, and not waste it on a project that is now closed and is selfish.
:lol2:

Yo hablo español.

tu me estas regañando ?
tiene que ver mis habilidades en el idioma ingles para contribuir y usar este proyecto ?
Para participar en este foro hay que tener conocimientos avanzados en ingenieria electronica, automotriz o del idioma ingles?
o mas aún trabajar en la nasa o en la General Motors ?

SI, yo quiero armar dos o mas tarjetas de este proyecto para mis vehículos y para los vehículos de mis amigos aqui en Venezuela.
Quiero usarlos con propositos de competencias de vehículos 4x4
Me interesé en este proyecto porque actualmete estoy desarrollando mi propia version de la megasquirt, pero ya que ustedes poseen una cosa mejor entonces tiene mas provecho invertir mi tiempo y esfuerzo en algo libre y gratis, y no malgastarlo en un proyecto que ya está cerrado y es egoista.
gsune
DIP8 - Involved

my cars

Post by gsune »

This is my competition vehicle:
Jeep CJ5, Chevy 350 ( 5.7 Lts) V8 engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2aofSWHo0Q

this is my other car
Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Lts 6L engine

jbelanger
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by jbelanger »

gsune wrote:are you nagging me?
have to see my English language skills to contribute and use this project?
To participate in this forum i must have advanced knowledge in electronics, automotive engineering or english language?
or be working in NASA or General Motors?

YES, I want to make two or more ECU´S of this project for my vehicles and for vehicles of my friends here in Venezuela.
I´ll use them for purposes ofroad 4x4 vehicles
I became interested in this project because in this moment i am developing my own version of the megasquit, but since you have something better then it have more profit to invest my time and effort into something open and free, and not waste it on a project that is now closed and is selfish.
:lol2:

Yo hablo español.

tu me estas regañando ?
tiene que ver mis habilidades en el idioma ingles para contribuir y usar este proyecto ?
Para participar en este foro hay que tener conocimientos avanzados en ingenieria electronica, automotriz o del idioma ingles?
o mas aún trabajar en la nasa o en la General Motors ?

SI, yo quiero armar dos o mas tarjetas de este proyecto para mis vehículos y para los vehículos de mis amigos aqui en Venezuela.
Quiero usarlos con propositos de competencias de vehículos 4x4
Me interesé en este proyecto porque actualmete estoy desarrollando mi propia version de la megasquirt, pero ya que ustedes poseen una cosa mejor entonces tiene mas provecho invertir mi tiempo y esfuerzo en algo libre y gratis, y no malgastarlo en un proyecto que ya está cerrado y es egoista.
This is my personal opinion and it may not be shared by others here but I think you have a very bad attitude. I may be due to a language issue (on my part or your part) which makes it look like that but you seem to feel like you are entitled to everything you want in the exact way you want without having to provide anything else other than your demands.

As an aside and since you commented on it, you may not like where Megasquirt is going and it is totally fine to have this opinion but to say that they are selfish is absurd. They can do whatever they want and have been saying for a long time (maybe not clearly at first) that this is a proprietary project which gives access to code and hardware with some limitations. And to say that you were making your own "version" of Megasquirt clearly shows that you have no respect for what their license says.

Others who didn't like that license and didn't want to be limited by it have started their own project like Fred here. And since he made his project a free and open one, you are allowed to use and reproduce it as long as you want. And you can make suggestions and comments on how you think it should be. But that doesn't give the right to demand things and say that things are bad and not as you want them.

If you're not happy with how things are you can make your own improvements and contribute back (and making your changes public and free is not an option but an obligation according to the license, if that means anything to you). Or you can simply leave and either start your own project or find another one you prefer. Both have been done before in the short history of this forum.

So stop complaining and being negative about what is done and what is being said to you: nobody here (or on the Megasquirt side) owes you anything. The people here are not trying to piss anyone off but they are also not here to satisfy all the demands of someone you questions (on his second post on the forum) the integrity and motives of contributors. I'm sorry if you find this harsh (actually not really sorry...) but you were much harsher in my view.

Jean
gsune
DIP8 - Involved

Post by gsune »

take it easy
I am happy with your project
just thought
be happy men :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
congratulations
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

It's hard to say with a small number of posts, but this may be a language barrier, or attitude, or both. Google translate, translated his Spanish directly to what was posted. I think this fellow has nearly no English experience, and is relying heavily on a translation tool like Google.

No I am not nagging about your English, it's broken, and oddly written as I read it. I'm not sure why it might be different.

At the moment yes you need to be significantly good with electrical theory, and mechanical theories to be able to install either a MS or FreeEMS unit. Not exactly NASA, but you do have to have a good understanding of several disciplines.