FreeEMS full signature generator app idea

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

FreeEMS full signature generator app idea

Post by Fred »

I just had a few thoughts about an app that could query the device and give a full readout of all available information. Maybe it would be better to integrate this into EssEss' app once it is up and running, but I'd do at least the following things:
  • request protocol details, firmware version, interface version, max packet length
  • send all 65536 payload ids and record responses or lack of, note positives and empties and list of errors for the rest, need details and less detailed report
  • send request all to loc id service, record contents
  • send request per loc id to loc details service, record responses
  • optionally retrieve all location contents in full (some of this will be dynamic data)
Need some file format to store all this stuff.

It would be nice to say to a user "run this and send us the file" in order to get a full dump of their device with every available piece of information in some human readable format. This tool would bridge the gap between loader and tuner info wise, though this could be integrated into the loader, it doesnt make sense for it to be there. Nor does it make sense to be in the tuner. It does however make sense for it tobe in essess' thrasher software. It would be cool if that gave us a complete dump including testing the protocol and looking at timing info. Maybe I can just add the functionality to it once he is done.

Hmm, what about a destructive mode too. One that sends all possible combos of the first say, 6 or 7 bytes. This would accelerate flash wear for sure, and ruin a tune, but could be useful.

A more targetted approach would be better, though, but that wouldnt belong in this app, oly in essess' one.

I guess what it could/couldn't do is very much dependent on how smart it is or how blind/dumb it is.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!