Noobie with a strange idea

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
DieselDood
TO92 - Vaguely active

Noobie with a strange idea

Post by DieselDood »

Hey
I've got an idea that I've been trying to figure out how to build.
I've been asking around on Arduino and Raspberry Pi areas trying to figure out where to even start. I don't know programming, so this will be a crazy learning experiment.

I have an 03 Ford Excursion with the worthless gas guzzling, no power, can't tow, V10. It gets 10mpg on the highway with a tailwind on a good day.

I love the truck, but hate that engine. SO... I've got a 95 Cummins 12 valve engine. It's completely mechanical, so it needs almost nothing to run. I can make it run with a fuel supply, zip tie and jumper the starter. The engine doesn't care at all about any sensors.

But... there are things that I would like an ECM for. The Factory EMC (gone) controls the intake air heater for cold weather start up. I have the heater on time to intake air temperature sensor Ohm readings, so that table will be easy to make. I'd like to add Coolant temperature as a parameter so if I run into the gas station quick it doesn't do the full cold start.

Since we are now looking at the coolant temp sensor I'd like it to control the electric cooling fans. Yes I can do this with other means as well, but I'd like to have an all in one unit. I'd also like it to watch for when I hit the Tow/Haul button, so it kicks the fans on earlier than normal day to day driving.
Speaking of fans... the AC works better with those fans on too... so lets add that input. LOL

Another unconventional thing I plan to do is run a Holset HE351ve Variable Vane turbo from a 2015 6.7 Cummins. This will give me more airflow, and a built in Exhaust brake, on top of the already awesome aspects of a VGT turbo. A diesel warms up faster with the exhaust restricted, I'd like it to have a cold weather function where it sees the Coolant temp and after start up, closes the vanes. Since we don't want to drop into gear with the vanes fully closed, probably watch the PRNDL too.

AND... I talked about the tow/haul above... that VGT will be great for towing, but I'd like to watch the EGT's so if they start getting to high it can open the vanes a bit.
And.... in a similar fashion, open the vanes up when it sees the cruise turned on.

All that seems like quite a bit... but the one last thing I'd like to do is Tach. The 12v Cummins has a 2 pulse per RPM sensor. The V10 is a 64 pulse per RPM. To get the dash to work right on the Excursion, AND get the GEM module to actually allow AC function, I need to make the tach work. Is there a way to input 2 pulses per RPM and have it output 64 pulses?

I know this is kind of a lot... but really it's nothing compared to what you guys are usually doing with full EFI fueling and timing maps.

And here is the Arduino coding already written for the VGT turbo. I'm sure mine will need tweaks done because every build is different, but I'm sure it will be basically the same.
https://mopar1973man.com/cummins/articl ... uner-r159/

What am I in for?
Thanks!
Josh
Fred

Re: Noobie with a strange idea

Post by Fred »

You're in for a lot of learning and either fun or pain or both! :-)

Busy doing an engine swap myself right now, so can't spare much time to attempt to answer any of that, but most of it looks straight forward to do.

Good luck!
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!