FrankenCIS (Bosch K-Jetronic / CIS) project dilemma

Free Open Source Firmware project discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source firmware projects here!
reanimotion
QFP80 - Contributor

FrankenCIS (Bosch K-Jetronic / CIS) project dilemma

Post by reanimotion »

Hi Everyone,

I've been floating around doing my own thing for a few years now, and also kept an eye out on who was doing what, So I'm new, but not new to the FreeEMS ecosystem you have here.

For fun and giggles I came up with the idea of marrying a modern EMS to the Bosch K-Jetronic / CIS injection system common to euro vehicles from the 70's to early 90's, and initially figured it would just be a fun technical exercise that might interest a small group of similar lunatics. Apparently the idea actually fills a rather large gap in the market, creating nice little following as soon as I announced the project on the Pelican Parts forum in July. see http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930- ... encis.html

Now for the dilemma....
I was happy and comfortable using the M$ [sic and I quite like the moniker] platform as
1. I had one in the vehicle already purely for canbus emulation
2. I figured there might be less than a dozen people interested in duplicating the prototype setup in it's simplest form
3. IP would not be an issue if we were clever in the way we handled the disclosure.

The intention was always to use M$ for initial development and in parallel do our own hardware and firmware using something a little better.
Freescale cores have been our bread and butter for a number of years now on our telematics and canbus modules so we wanted to retain FS as the hardware.
We also wanted to retain and enhance the community side if things by leveraging M$, o5e and FreeEMS etc. where possible as mix and match DIY options for the varied levels of end-user now interested in this.
But, our friends in the DIY arena are becoming a little greedy and protective so I want to jump ship before it's too late.

MS and o5e are obviously out for many and varied reasons that have been discussed here at length by others.
We can go it alone but would prefer not to.

Can FrankenCIS be integrated with FreeEMS, is it ready to be forced out of alpha?
Is the Jaguar Hardware (or others) ready for ongoing production if required, at least until we can push out our own dedicated boards?
Can we have a chat about Open Source and Copyright segmentation.

The control strategy is quite elegant and deliberately designed to integrate into the traditional ems fuel management as a module, so I think we could help each other out without impacting the ongoing development of either side.

Thoughts????
Steve
1981 Porsche 928S Bosch KE3-Jetronic Injection with FrankenCIS http://www.FrankenCIS.com
reanimotion
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: FrankenCIS (Bosch K-Jetronic / CIS) project dilemma

Post by reanimotion »

Pelican forum appears to be broken this morning so I can repost a summary here if anyone wishes
Steve
1981 Porsche 928S Bosch KE3-Jetronic Injection with FrankenCIS http://www.FrankenCIS.com
russian
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by russian »

reanimotion wrote:But, our friends in the DIY arena are becoming a little greedy and protective so I want to jump ship before it's too late.

MS and o5e are obviously out for many and varied reasons that have been discussed here at length by others.
Curious to learn more on this.
reanimotion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by reanimotion »

Simply put
MS is protecting their commercial interests more aggressively now that MS3Pro is out, and they have an "anything you do we own clause" in their licence
search any of Mr Fred's posts for M$ for some amusing perspectives

o5e is also going closed source according to the chief of that project a little while back - they changed from MIT/BSD mid last year to Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 and branched to a closed source version for a proposed "Pro" product. the upside is the implementation is really only a light wrapper around the Freescale eTPU2 code, so to start from scratch is only a tiny job to get to where they are now
there was a falling out in 2012/13 so the current site has no real development history or explanation of the project internals - there is a thread here that outlines a few salient issues viewtopic.php?f=46&t=736 quite informative if you sift through the fluff
Steve
reanimotion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by reanimotion »

to get back on subject

We have all the s12 s12x(ep) development gear here already for our own stuff (and MS2/3 by chance)
Quorriva and Kinetis as well so we can pretty quickly get up and running with MPC5634/5554 if we decide to go Quorriva
I have Ravage and ruzki boards on order for FreeEMS eval and testing so need to wait for the postman to proceed on that

If FreeEMS/Ravage can be made to work in our weird little project I can have baseboards and cases using Deutsch connectors made up in a few weeks
FreeEMS compiles in our environment using the gcc-elf toolchain if we rip out the non functional x-gate stub in the vanilla code
modification of the code is underway while we wait on the s12XDP hardware to arrive
Last edited by reanimotion on Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
reanimotion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by reanimotion »

Fred,

Apologies if it exists and I just cannot find it, there is a need for a master page somewhere here that has a simple paragraph for each project you have floating around and it's status.
In my wanderings I found an obscure reference to FreeMS, I'm getting that up and running now on a separate branch, do you have any interest in controlling it's direction before I make too many changes?
The other project I'd like to revive and correct with a rewrite, is the ever so slightly misguided implementation of MPC5554/5634.
Between the two that gives me the low and high end products we need without affecting your core project on the XDP.

Worthy of dedicated threads somewhere here?
Last edited by reanimotion on Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Fred

Post by Fred »

Don't have time to reply in writing right now. I'd hold off any work on any of the code until I've filled you in on all of the gossip and information that you need to make good decisions on any of this.

Quick comments: MCP5554 can not support a good true FOSS project, the tools are extremely expensive if you want to leverage the only good features they have over any other CPU. Without those tools, it's nothing special and just over priced.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
reanimotion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by reanimotion »

:lol2: one day we'll chat ;)
Steve
reanimotion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by reanimotion »

Just in case the previous didn't read as intended.

"Chat soon eh?" :) I'll send you some Rashuns + L&P
Steve
Fred

Post by Fred »

reanimotion wrote:Just in case the previous didn't read as intended.

"Chat soon eh?" :) I'll send you some Rashuns + L&P
reanimotion wrote:I'll send you some burger rings + L&P
Fixed! :-D
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!