OpenEDC - Open Electronic Diesel Controller

Free Open Source Firmware project discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source firmware projects here!
jafrey
TO92 - Vaguely active

OpenEDC - Open Electronic Diesel Controller

Post by jafrey »

This started off as an idea on TDIClub Forums and gathered a lot of attention. There are numerous tuners that tune diesel engines but those all work on remapping the original software. A lot of it is guess and check as there are often 3 maps that 'do' the same thing depending on Manual, Automatic or 4WD. Unlike the gasoline world with RusEFI, FreeEMS, MegaSquirt, etc I haven't found many (any actually) that were designed specifically for diesel engines.

The Bosche EDC15, 16 and 17 run a large portion of diesel engines out there. Almost everything from the Volkswagen Auto Group (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat) plus some Mercedes-Benz, Alfa Romeo, Peugeot, Citroen, Opel, and on.

My project is in its complete infancy. No code has even been written and I'm narrowing down what development environment, tool chain, chipset, OS, etc to go with. I stumbled on Russian's website and then found this one.

Someone else out there already made Arduino code for his TDI swap: http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/dmn-edc/

http://openedc.info/
Fred

Re: OpenEDC - Open Electronic Diesel Controller

Post by Fred »

I guess it's time to come clean, unlucky thirteen was and remains a VW TDI engine. I had bad wiring gremlins that amounted to not being able to drive it. But I did run it, several times, and it was trivial. Common rail stuff is not so trivial in terms of driving the outputs, but the control strategy stuff is all VERY straight forward IMO.

I plan to try to get hold of another VE based engine once I have tools again, and add code to control it. A lot of the same other code for engine control is useful, such as table lookups, RPM, variables, tuner, etc. So the infrastructure is easily repurposed to do this job.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jafrey
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by jafrey »

Common rail > PD > VE.

Common rail (and piezo injectors in general) are a $#(*%& to drive. I've talked to some people on how they would do it but it requires a lot of circruity beyond the ECM.

PD engines (Unit injector) shouldn't be too different than a spark driven engine other than you have to add code to shut it off and timing is critical here.

VE engines are beyond stupid simple and straight forward because the VE pump is pretty much '70s technology with a servo tacked on top of it. A servo that likes PWM signals and that's it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yes.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
BegTech
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by BegTech »

If there is sufficient interest in this project, I would be willing to donate our proprietary fuel injection controller design(s) (currently HCS12 based prototype) and software (we are presently operating on and debugging a single cylinder diesel engine with our FlexiJector(TM) electronic diesel injectors).

www.begtech.com
BegTech
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by BegTech »

A progress report.

After breaking a few pistons, we have timing stability and pressure control. We are still fussing with a few misfires where no fuel is injected. I personally think the common rail software is at least as difficult as the common rail drivers--timing and fuel delivery must be perfect every time all the time, no matter what interesting noise turns up on the inputs or what spurious interrupts occur. Otherwise we have expensive engine damage. Maybe some of you out there are better with software than I am.

I so far have received no feedback for my original offer--if you want specs please contact me through my web-site and put "open source diesel control" in the subject line.

Andy Meyer
Beginnings Technology Inc.
Madmaxfvh
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Madmaxfvh »

I have a Volvo S40 D5 with an electronic problem. I would like to change the ecu to something that I can control. How would I tackle this?
russian
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by russian »

Madmaxfvh wrote:I have a Volvo S40 D5 with an electronic problem. I would like to change the ecu to something that I can control. How would I tackle this?
Are you looking to fix the car or are you looking for a hobby project? :)
Madmaxfvh
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Madmaxfvh »

I am looking to fix the car and maybe to teach myself a thing or two in the process. If I can do it myself and not the manufacturer then I will be very happy.
anmol77
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by anmol77 »

I would like to change the ecu to something that I can control. How would I tackle this?????