Porting FreeEMS to existing OEM ECU

Free Open Source Firmware project discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source firmware projects here!
wxorx
TO92 - Vaguely active

Porting FreeEMS to existing OEM ECU

Post by wxorx »

Hi guys, I have not looked at the memory footprint of the FreeEMS code, but I came to an idea to try to
port the (fueling) part of the FreeEMS code to Bosch LH 2.4 Jetronic. Do you think it is possible?

Jetronic is limited by RAM 256 internal + 256 optional external bytes, but have a lot of ROM /code space,
runs 8051 derived processor and is simple enough.
The point of doing this is to have stock ECU+wiring with an open software running on it. What do you guys think?
Fred

Re: Porting FreeEMS to existing OEM ECU

Post by Fred »

Possible, but a waste of time IMO. "The fueling part", as it currently stands, you could rewrite in a day. IE, the vast majority of the work will be the infrastructure of the Bosch ECU. That's incidentally where many of FreeEMS' strengths are, in the structure. It's virtually feature-less right now, but there is an excellent framework. The framework would mostly have to change on a different device, so: start from scratch if you want to do that. BIG job, not worth it, IMO.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
wxorx
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by wxorx »

Well, you are right probably, but I know the hardware, and once I get to know the software it should not be that
hard. Also a chance to learn the internals of FreeEMS. At some point in the future I am planning to convert my Volvo to FreeEMS, but I will have to investigate existing builds, build my own supporting hardware, gather/make some sensors and so on.
And the most important - get enough free time do it.

Last time I looked at this project was maybe 1.5-2 years ago, and now I am very happy to find this project not only survived but also made some impressive progress. I am pro open source, and this is the most important reason I will go for FreeEMS.

Anyway, I will let you know how it goes, if at all, and who knows - I might be able to bring something
Fred

Post by Fred »

wxorx wrote:Well, you are right probably, but I know the hardware, and once I get to know the software it should not be that
hard. Also a chance to learn the internals of FreeEMS.
Fair enough! :-)
wxorx wrote:At some point in the future I am planning to convert my Volvo to FreeEMS, but I will have to investigate existing builds, build my own supporting hardware, gather/make some sensors and so on.
And the most important - get enough free time do it.
Cool, I look forward to your arrival in the chart :-)
wxorx wrote:Last time I looked at this project was maybe 1.5-2 years ago, and now I am very happy to find this project not only survived but also made some impressive progress.
Yes, it has, but at great cost to me, something I need to rectify in the short term. As for the timing, it was just over 2 years ago that this video of engine #2 was filmed and it's been solid progress ever since. Lots more just around the corner, too, if people step up as they've promised to.
wxorx wrote:I am pro open source, and this is the most important reason I will go for FreeEMS.
It'll always be open source! It serves no purpose to the world if it's not. Knowing what I know now, I will absolutely never use anything on any engine again that isn't OEM, FreeEMS, or, gasp, in a dire emergency, MS2. MS1 is a pile of shit, and MS3 is just like all of the other brands, fully closed, and thus not acceptable to me anymore.
wxorx wrote:Anyway, I will let you know how it goes, if at all, and who knows - I might be able to bring something
Quite possibly :-)

This applies to your porting too, btw: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1699

PS, I de-n00bed you.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!