Arduino go kart EMS

Free Open Source Firmware project discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source firmware projects here!
ivan141
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Arduino go kart EMS

Post by ivan141 »

Interesting stuff.. The trace routing is a bit cringeworthy though.. 90 degree bends all over the place.. looks like M$'s smd boards.
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
noisymime
DIP8 - Involved

Post by noisymime »

ivan141 wrote:Interesting stuff.. The trace routing is a bit cringeworthy though.. 90 degree bends all over the place.. looks like M$'s smd boards.
For low speed, mostly power switching stuff, like this are 90 degrees really an issue? I thought they only became an issue at very high data rates.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Still bad practice, and easier to damage, too.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
plazomat
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by plazomat »

Love this project, keep up the good work, I will follow closely and plan to basterdize a GM PCM to handle all non-processor related stuff - hackin a $15 ebay ATMega 2560 and control my primitive v8 engine...

Thanks again for all your hardwork, I really appreciate the simplicity and dirtcheap cost.

Plazomat
JareeB
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by JareeB »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcwrLTaYJ_o how very cool. will watch the full thing when i have time.

sent a pm about getting a board. for my supercharged moped...
plans to build a 300whp turbo ford ranger with a 2.3l engine the ford lima!
current rig: 1994 ford ranger 2.3. good platform for my almost complete turbo engine. a237 cam, stock t3 turbo, ported and polished head. just needs some mangement!!
reanimotion
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by reanimotion »

I note the plans for speeduino include one day using the Arduino Due
just in case anyone interested in speeduino wishes to crack a nut with a sledgehammer, Hitec have very recently created an oddball Arduino equivalent called AURduino

AURduino - the world's most powerful Arduino™
http://www.hitex.co.uk/index.php?id=3650
or
http://www.ehitex.de/starter-kits/fuer- ... duino?c=40

Using the Infineon Aurix TriCore processor
Very current tech, very high end automotive MCU
http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/ ... df64d92edc
The main Aurduino toolchain is the Eclipse-based “FreeEntryToolchain” from Hightec/Infineon. This is full C/C++ development environment. The familiar Arduino IDE is also available for the AURduino. Both IDEs are based on the Infineon iLLD libraries and allow the usual Arduino C++- like Processing language to be used with the familiar Arduino IO e.g. digitalWrite(), analogRead(), Serial.print() etc.. These functions will are implemented for all three TC275 core 0s and can be used without restriction.

Given the awesome power of the TC275 we expect most users to program it in C in Eclipse, using the iLLD API directly or working with the underlying SFRs. It is easy to add a display to the Aurduino and there are TFT touchscreen shields available from around 5 Euro. The normal Arduino TFT library functions are implemented. A cheap breakout shield can be used to allow access to the processor port pins with theTFT fitted. The TFT is driven through the dedicated SPI connector so it does not steal any standard Arduino IO.

The neat thing about the Aurduino is that it lets you access the massive power of the TC275 without knowing anything about the bits and bytes of the peripherals!
http://aurduino.boards.net/board/1/general-board
Steve
1981 Porsche 928S Bosch KE3-Jetronic Injection with FrankenCIS http://www.FrankenCIS.com
noisymime
DIP8 - Involved

Post by noisymime »

Interesting board.

Honestly, it's probably not something I'd ever look to use. The price is fairly steep (relatively) and like you say, it's simply overkill. Then there's the fact that you have to mess about with their toolchain etc.

Whenever I manage to find a few spare weekends (So probably about 2018 at the current rate :lol2: ) I'll probably look seriously at the various ARM options. I've gone a bit cold on the Due for various reasons, but using something like a Teensy 3.1 is tempting. Tons of power, 5v tolerant, built in EEPROM and a good price. Has the Due beat hands down in my opinion. Making the code work with it wouldn't be any worse than the Due either.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Wow, that is pricey! Though it's the sort of CPU I'd consider porting FreeEMS to eventually. Now's not the time, far too much neat stuff going on that a porting project would get in the way of :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
russian
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by russian »

noisymime, do you know anything about "Diagnostics & high speed loggers" tab of TS - do you support it? Looking to implement it in my ems would appreciate any hints :)
noisymime
DIP8 - Involved

Post by noisymime »

russian wrote:noisymime, do you know anything about "Diagnostics & high speed loggers" tab of TS - do you support it? Looking to implement it in my ems would appreciate any hints :)
Hey rus. I've had a high speed tooth logger in there for a while which displays 'tooth times' for the primary crank/tach input. Working on a composite type logger at the moment but it's not ready yet.

Take a look at: https://github.com/noisymime/speeduino/ ... .ini#L1250
The idea is that you have a buffer of times when teeth were 'seen' and when the buffer reaches a certain size, you mark a flag to indicate its ready and TS can then request you transmit the buffer. Seems to work pretty well, but choosing the buffer size correctly so that it works well with a 60-2 wheel and a distributor pulse is a bit tricky. There's possibly a better way to do this than what I am, but it works fairly well.