LCD license plate cover

Non-EMS Electronics related discussions and projects in here please.
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

LCD license plate cover

Post by SleepyKeys »

I'm getting sick of these photo radar systems. I was thinking about using the parts out of an auto-darkening welding helmet to construct a plate cover. Does anyone know who makes the LCD portion of the helmet, or where I can get a bigger piece of auto-darkening 'glass'?

-sean
You snooze, you lose!
davebmw

Re: LCD license plate cover

Post by davebmw »

I have often thought the same thing!

i was wondering if the antistatic coated acrylic used for test fixtures sandwiching the liquid crystal solution and a couple of polarising sheets would do it?

There is the expensive alternative replace the license plate with a 10.4 inch TFT panel and you can display what you want just don't get caught or make it really convincing.
the way to do that is get rid of the backlighting crap and turn round one of the polarising sheets to invert the display what you have then is something that could look rather cool.

licence plate officer what number would you like on it sir, as you pull out the laptop!

Rather James Bond that!

there are other alternatives that have been used with some success in the UK:

Flash repeater system designed to overwhelm the CCD of the camera triggered by the flash itself.

Radar jamming fools the camera into thinking its going slower than it really is.

Remove the plates from the car and claim someone stole them the fine in the UK is £30 usually you just get a pink slip to get new ones, the fine for speeding is £60 and 3, 6 or 12 points depending on severity 12 is an instant ban.

foul the plates with dirt, same as Above in the UK £30 fine at the officers discretion.

Join GTS the Gatso Terrorlst Squad they go round the UK purposefully breaking speed cameras or dressing them up as santa claus.
(obviously I could not possibly condone the use of thermite to burn through the armored casing, or a couple of old car tyres to burn the poor safety camera to ashes) these are the actions of a few renegade individuals that feel that their human rights are violated by said safety devices.

Or

Drive sensibly, at least while passing them! this has unprecedented success rates!
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

"Drive sensibly, at least while passing them! this has unprecedented success rates!"

I agree and I myself have never received a photo radar ticket. I just dont like the feeling..............

I think out of all the solutions the lcd idea would work best. It sounds like your tickets are a lot cheaper a +5 ticket will cost 2-300 USD.

I need to find a large enough LCD.
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

davebmw wrote:Radar jamming fools the camera into thinking its going slower than it really is.
Do not try this one. Not unless you are very quick witted. The modern guns tell the operator that they are being jammed...

You have to use a detector to realise there is a gun on you, flick it on while you nail the brakes and then flick it off. If you do anything else they will search you and bust your arse.

The best thing is to avoid cameras and drive to fast to be caught everywhere else ;-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

Or save the speeding for the race track :lol:

Roads are for going low and slow
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
Fred

Post by Fred »

The trouble is, there is a LARGE gap between safe and legal. Sometimes the law says you can be unsafe, but mostly it says that you are being illegal while being safe. And I have a significant problem with that. Low cars are by and large just dangerous in general IMO. Even when properly setup.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
longracing
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by longracing »

My idea for the licence plate cover was using an LCD to turn all the digits into "8"s when you pushed a momentary switch. Although I have seen a solenoid that flipped the plate up on a hinge when a button was pushed.
shameem

Post by shameem »

Can you just focus some high power infrared leds on the plate so that any ccd element that tries to take a picture gets saturated....
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

But who knows what filters they have on those cams. I'd rather know that its blocked.
You snooze, you lose!
shameem

Post by shameem »

The speed cameras operate at IR frequency - so they can "see" at night without need for bright lights. I think mythbusters did an episode on this and tried the LED idea but they were trying to beat the laser gun and didnt focus the leds on the plate itself.....