The scoreboards are being setup at the local soccer club this coming weekend!
One unit is completed! See below crap quality image. This photo was taken before I had neatened up the wiring as I was testing out the firmware (the scrolling text motion makes the pixels look funny, but trust me, they aren't)
I ended up using these excellent 151Mhz radio modules manufactured by Elsema (you need to click on the 151Mhz tab to see the ones I am using)
I also designed another board for the remote control unit (note: these photo's were taken before flux was removed)
and I used this enclosure from Hammond Mfg for the remote control unit
I initially had issues with how I packetised my data (ie, lack of adequate error rejection/detection), but I implemented a HLDC protocol for packetising my payload and it now works very nicely!
More pics to come once they are installed at the club!