Comments/suggestions for all articles here please :-)

Place your article links, ideas and suggestions here. A moderator will move topics and posts to the approved area when they meet the standards required. Note, this could take years, and there is a lot of great stuff in this section.
Fred

Comments/suggestions for all articles here please :-)

Post by Fred »

As the title says, post here and link/refer to the one you have something to say about.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Comments/suggestions for all articles here please :-)

Post by SleepyKeys »

I had the same problem you described and this pan fixed it. Its much like what you did, except they used a wire mesh below the crank throws.

: 3 Trap door baffles, removable one way screen windage tray with built in crank scraper, oil temp fitting, magnetic drain plug and, 20mm fitting for low oil warning sender.

Never had oil pressure drop do to Gs since. Most of the boat race guys I know prefer dry sump with a 3-5 gallon reservoir.
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

To be honest, I only ever had issues under heavy brakes with a rear pickup sump. Even on big sweepers cornering hard enough oil got back to the sump to maintain pressure. My sump is probably what you would call overkill :-)

Admin.
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

Overkill helps me sleep at night, as well as keep my eyes on the road and not so much on the gauges. haha
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

seank wrote:Overkill helps me sleep at night, as well as keep my eyes on the road and not so much on the gauges. haha
All very true :-)
shameem
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by shameem »

For the fuel system - instead of shuttling fuel around - exposing fuel to different temperature and pressure - i like the idea of a pressure controlled pump with no return line. A pressure sensor at the end of the fuel rail senses the rail pressure and the controller uses it turn on/off the pump to maintain/relieve pressure. I think this system is used in Ford zx2s here in North America.

Also to prevent sloshing (while turning/braking etc) and starvation - a fuel cell design would be most appropriate. This system would have an elastic membrane (bladder) that stretches to accommodate the fuel and then shrinks with falling fuel level - in effect squeezing the fuel upto the pump pickup.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Return-less fuel systems are used in most modern vehicles for emissions reasons. Fuel temperature at the rail is a (minor) problem for performance reasons, and a problem for keeping AFR consistent reasons. In short 9/10 they are replaced with a conventional return style system when any serious modifications are made to the engine.

A fuel cell might be nice, but they are expensive, and require retrofitting whereas a surge setup can be used with the existing tank and fuel lines and minimal modifications for great effect. Some of us might want to retain our spare tyre instead :-)

Someone else pointed out that an accusump was an option for oil control. I'd tend to steer clear of them as they will most likely just spread the low pressure region out over a longer time at a higher pressure. More of a bandaid than solution to the original problem.

Admin.
johnd
DIP8 - Involved

Re: Temperature Sensor Response Curve Database

Post by johnd »

just a thought
but if posters also supply part no.of sensor that would be much more helpful to the other users,as I know with some makers colour is not a a definate as to exact spec of sensor.
then in time a whole list of sensors and part no,s could be included as a drop down menu in the set -up software.
same for air temps ,injectors ,coil packs etc etc .
then you are really making it an easy diy job for intial start-up
Fred

Re: Temperature Sensor Response Curve Database

Post by Fred »

The part numbers are a good idea! :-) I'll edit my post to reflect that. Comments do belong here though. I need an article submission area too and to move posts once approved. I saw that on someone else's forum recently.
johnd wrote:then you are really making it an easy diy job for intial start-up
We aren't here because we want easy John. We are here to get our hands dirty, think, understand and make it work ourselves. Please try to remember that all code is written by someone who is volunteering there spare time to make it happen. Why should they put huge effort into something just to make it a little easier for someone else who has done nothing? It will be up to the tuning authors if they want to do such things anyway. Nothing to do with me.

Fred.
davebmw

Post by davebmw »

Fred,

Now I have proven my power rail separation method I would like to write a proper article with schematics pix and vids for others to take advantage of.
This would be just the place for such an article i think (as MS sites would delete such a useful article!) :o
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1