PCB MFG notes

Place your article links, ideas and suggestions here. A moderator will move topics and posts to the approved area when they meet the standards required. Note, this could take years, and there is a lot of great stuff in this section.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

PCB MFG notes

Post by jharvey »

Wikipedia with several general purpose notes about PCB's and DIY assembly references.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board

After assembly and testing, here are two items that should be done for long term care. Use some form of flux off to clean the board, then conformal coating to add more corrosion protection.

The flux when hot is very reactive, and will remain reactive when at room temp. It's reactive state typically takes at least a year to notice, and it's a good idea to remove this flux to prevent long term corrosion issues. Radio shack electronics clear works OK for this (64-4345) it comes with it's own brush for cleaning. Also MG Chemicals Flux Remover PC Boards (4140-400g) is more aggressive but requires you to provide your own acid brush. Here's a link about conformal coating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating
EssEss
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: PCB MFG notes

Post by EssEss »

the idea here is that you want to avoid things w/lanolin or skin conditioners .. that said, I scrub up my boards with simple green and a trimmed acid brush and rinse. A lot less work is involved when you do it immediately instead of wait a few days.
Fred

Re: PCB MFG notes

Post by Fred »

hot water helps too :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!