Max current sense chip

Place your article links, ideas and suggestions here. A moderator will move topics and posts to the approved area when they meet the standards required. Note, this could take years, and there is a lot of great stuff in this section.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Max current sense chip

Post by jharvey »

Didn't know where to post it, so here it is. I know there are folks that like the current sense resistor, this little chip resolves many of the problems of using the current sense resistor.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/5817
WTDeuce
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Max current sense chip

Post by WTDeuce »

Allegro Micro has some current sense ICs too

http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products ... sensor.asp

They also have great hall sensors for crank/cam applications, stepper motor drivers, etc. All high temp rated.
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

jharvey wrote:Didn't know where to post it, so here it is. I know there are folks that like the current sense resistor, this little chip resolves many of the problems of using the current sense resistor.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/5817
I don't get it. The part uses a current sense resistor. And I guess too, what are the problems with current sense resistors in this application?

jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

MotoFab wrote:I don't get it. The part uses a current sense resistor. And I guess too, what are the problems with current sense resistors in this application?
The top posted max chip includes the sense resistor. The graphic requires you to add an external resistor, make sure it's calibrated, make sure you don't have antenna /a RF issues, make sure you don't land on some obscure hole or pole (sometimes found in the op-amp transistors arrangements), ect. It includes all of it so you simply run your current path through the chip and bang you have an answer.

About Allegro Micro, they have some great stuff, mostly hall based. I've got a chip that senses up to 100 amps with out breaking the trace to get current to run through the sensor. That's where I got the idea for the setup I've included in FreeEMS 1.0.
MotoFab
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by MotoFab »

jharvey wrote:The top posted max chip includes the sense resistor. The graphic requires you to add an external resistor, make sure it's calibrated, make sure you don't have antenna /a RF issues, make sure you don't land on some obscure hole or pole (sometimes found in the op-amp transistors arrangements), ect. It includes all of it so you simply run your current path through the chip and bang you have an answer.
The link points to MAX9938. http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/5817 That component has no internal Rsense. Maybe the pin labels of RS+ and RS- are throwing you?

After reading over the response I have this to offer. RF really can't impress onto a low impedance signal, at least not RF at human-safe power levels. I prolly don't get what you mean about the relevance of op amp nodes in this context. But measuring current with a low ohm Rsense and a differential amp is a common application using commodity components. I don't see a problem, but again, I may not be understanding you.

As brilliant as many of their parts are, Maxim is a boutique house. They make their living on unique parts. Unique parts without multiple sources, that are 16 weeks out when you need them, or the buy order missed the lifetime buy window by a month. It is very easy to get trapped behind that 8-ball more than once.

- Jim
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Hmmm, I wonder if the URL now points to a different chip. That's not the specs I remember for the chip I posted about... Or perhaps I simply forgot what the specs where.