Resistor noise notes

Place your article links, ideas and suggestions here. A moderator will move topics and posts to the approved area when they meet the standards required. Note, this could take years, and there is a lot of great stuff in this section.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Resistor noise notes

Post by jharvey »

As found here. viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1218&start=146

The high lights, a 5% resistor can be obtained with specific technologies. 1% resistors costs about the same and use a different technology. The % spec isn't just the long term resistor ratting, but also the short term. Variations will happen as you pump in an AC signal, which will cause a wave of heat across the chip. This wave of heat will cause a wave of thermal expansion, which will cause the resistor to wonder in the 5% range. In an amplifier design(s), this can cause noticeable acoustic noise when driving a speaker. So might as well use the 1% resistors, as they cost nearly the same, and are better.

Here's a copy of Fred's post,
Vishay application note: http://www.c-c-i.com/sites/default/files/vse-an00.pdf

"Carbon composition resistors can exhibit a noise index of 0 dB while bulk metal foil resistors may have a noise index of -40 dB, usually making the excess noise of metal foil resistors insignificant."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor#E ... rmal_noise

Yes, I realise that it's not really applicable to engine management, but you may as well have the best where you can have them with no downsides including no excess cost :-)
Fred

Re: Resistor noise notes

Post by Fred »

BTW, my old MS2/V3.0 was built entirely with 1/4W packaging, 1/2W dissipation, 1%, MF resistors, even in the locations intended for 1/8W packaging, though I know this is not ideal for vibration resistance. The MF stuff also tends to handle heat better. They're just generally superior, really. Good idea to stash it here. I really should rename this section.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!