Marcos' development comments!

Marcos Chaparro's GPL C++/QT tuning application, now supports FreeEMS too!
Fred

Re: Marcos' development comments!

Post by Fred »

qextserialport was also removed, but the shared libs aren't available in the official repository. I need to create a deb package to install them (and its headers too).
Does that mean it's broken right now? If so, naughty, you should always create the dependency before the thing that depends on it! At least that is true for anything public, where public = 1+ other people use it. (I'm including office environments here too)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
nitrousnrg
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by nitrousnrg »

That is right when you have something that works!
The library bug left the app unusable, so there's no point in having there something that can't run. There was a deb package left to try it.

Now, the good news:
*ecumanager uses qwtplot libs form the official repository (no source included anymore)
* I created a deb package to install qextserialport library and development files (which will be uploaded when I get home)
* ecumanager code is clean, no lib/ directory, no include files, no nothing.
* It compiles and run! (The strange characters reappeared in the 3d surface, though.)
Marcos
Fred

Post by Fred »

Awesome! Great work!

Oh, btw, Dave has started hacking at some code too now :-)

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Mate, the idea should be that you can test your inner classes against unit tests and performance tests that are specified by the docs that I should maintain not the hardware. If you develop by guesswork against the hardware then you could have flaws based on observations that wouldn't be present if developed by the defined interface. Of course, if you develop by interface, without hardware, it would be easy to have flaws and things you've overlooked... unless you thoroughly unit test and layer your code so that that is possible. I really need to write a reference decoder in Java as I would like everyone to do it, with tests and everything. In any case, there are numerous people that can test for you if you need it. I can even dig out my hardware and put it into my car and test for you any time you let me know I need to and I can get some wifi.

Fred.
nitrousnrg

Post by nitrousnrg »

I understand, but is kind of boring to be developing a protocol that I'm not seeing physically. I love blinking leds, stupid tests, and hacks to know how does the microcontroller work.

I also understand the aim to a pure doc-based interface, but I moved my mind to the hardware for these days, and gained a lot of momentum. Besides, Dave's work on an ncurses interface was really interesting, we could use the same backend to handle the comms. I provide a cute GUI, and he or us develop the decoder. btw, is there any improvement in that topic?
Marcos
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fair enough, I guess. I can send you lots of videos of blinking leds and screen shots and videos of visual output, etc.

I didn't know Dave's ncurses stuff did anything at all, yet. If it does stuff, what does it do?

What do you mean improvement in that topic? No entende! :-)

I've been working on the system today. And a few days ago I was reading up on all the comms docs etc intending to start making changes and alligning them with reality or vice versa, etc. I'm currently focussed on helping Sean get the new xgate binutils into circulation. I've made some progress, but hit a hold up. I'll be emailing him soon. Bare in mind, I have no hardware attached to power right now either! I could get it if I needed, but currently, I'm coding blind, just like you.

Fred.
nitrousnrg

Post by nitrousnrg »

I can send you lots of videos of blinking leds and screen shots and videos of visual output, etc.
I like it, but somehow, I'm feeling more involved in the project than that =) As long as I don't have hardware, I'll ask you for things like that. We should skype someday btw.
What do you mean improvement in that topic? No entende!
"no entiendo!" ;-) I wanted to know if you had news about that code, if dave accomplish something, but I see you don't have news about it.
And a few days ago I was reading up on all the comms docs etc intending to start making changes and alligning them with reality or vice versa, etc.
Cool, let me know when those changes are commited, your repo has some activity these hours :)
Marcos
Fred

Post by Fred »

Skype, try me anytime I'm online, unless I'm talking to Isabel, I'll probably be fine with it.

I grabbed both Sean's and Dave's ncurses stuff after I posted and had a look, seems to just be a CMake version of the demos that they provide. I was independently hacking around with some of those things. Maybe I'll find the time to have a hack at that stuff too. I'll at least need a serial loop device to code that, though.

Thank you for the espanyol lesson!

I'll keep all of you, Aaron, Dave, CPUTorture posted as I update the docs, I promise!

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Marcos, I moved this back off the front page, because it's not practically useful to tune with. If/when you update it to adjust tables and maybe even config, I'll move it back. I hope you don't mind, but the system is borderline ready to use now, it's a viable option, and I don't want people to spend time on things that they can't use to accomplish their goals.

Fred.