Performance Issues On Linux

OpenLogViewer is a cross-platform data log viewing application originally written by Gufi and new developed and maintained by Ben and Fred. Discuss all things OLV here!
Fred

Performance Issues On Linux

Post by Fred »

We're aware of the performance issues on certain platforms, and indeed the generally mediocre performance on all platforms, and we're gradually working on it, however I thought I'd put a note here about Linux.

I have three Linux boxes here, two of which I've tried it on. On one, the mac mini running Debian, with genuine nvidia driver it is perfectly acceptable and usable. On my eee though, it's unbearable. In particular, it's unbearable when the mouse is over the screen, this means that the only time it works "ok" is when you play the graph and keep the mouse the hell away from it. This is also Debian, however it has the intel graphics chipset and a much slower CPU.

I believe that it should be usable, easily, on an eee performance box and lean on any other box, so we will get around to fixing this behaviour, however please be patient as it's not a priority. UI usability and general correctness of features and compatibility to existing and upcoming log formats are higher priority. Once the UI stuff is good enough, expect some work on this issue.

Thanks for your patience!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!