FreeTherm Installation Requirements

A thermistor curve calculator and simple code generator program used to develop FreeEMS and generate compile time curves for your custom sensors. Written by Fred and Shameem.
Fred

FreeTherm Installation Requirements

Post by Fred »

I thought I had better make this obvious :-)

FreeTherm is a GTK# .NET application designed and built with mono, but runnable on any up to date .NET environment with the required libraries.

I believe you need a .NET 2.0 setup, mono or M$
You definitely need GTK for windows
You definitely need GTK# for windows

The last one can be obtained from two places, one 12meg version here :

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=223067

And one larger one here :

http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfconte ... 32-0.0.exe

I'm unsure of the difference, but both seem to work fine.

Enjoy :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: FreeTherm Installation Requirements

Post by jharvey »

Blasted, nothings simple.

When I run the 12 meg GTK# runtime, I get an error message that notes it needs .net 1.1. Yet I have 2 and 3 installed already. Leave it up to MS to make mild upgrades not reverse compatable.

[Edit] whats the deal with 2.10.3 vs 2.8 as the latest? Should I got for 2.10.3?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Probably my link is out of date. I'm not sure about 1.1/2.0 :-/
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I don't think so, the one you linked to is listed as "latest" I suspected the two newer versions are being tested and the one labeled is the stable version. Any how, I just tried 2.10.3 and it also wants .net 1.1.

I'm also surprised to see the .net requirement. I seem to recall that .net's licencing scheme it quite restricting, however not currently pushed. I haven't read the licence, but someone once claimed that even though .net is really cool and handy, MS has written the licence such that at any point, they can choose to change a fee for all programs that use .net. Basically they can charge for your work. I'm not sure how true that is, but still surprised to see .net. Also isn't there a free .net equiv?
sry_not4sale
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by sry_not4sale »

mono is the free .net equiv ;)
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Hmmm, .net 1.1 ~25 megs, Mono 2.0 ~75 megs.

So mono 2.0 should be good as an equivalent to .net? I'd be willing to bet that's right. They are listed next to each other on the download page.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I got it working but I had some mild problems before I got it there. I orginally had it on a network drive, but got the attached crash messages. One happened in a recent MS update and is quite common, some kind of annoying security garbage. The other indicates freeTherm crashed hard. I then moved it to c: and it works just fine.

The network drive had name(s) longer than 8 char and no spaces. My guess it that something doesn't like the \\ip\ reference or perhaps it's a security thing with MS. Any how, thought I should note.

Now that I've got it running, I think I see how it works. However, I'm assuming this uses a circuit that has 5vreg to a bias R (default 2200 ohms) then to Rth then to gnd. The A/D reading is between GND and in between Rth and Rbias.

This program creates a look up table for use with FreeEMS (or perhaps other) that could be downloaded to the EMS and used to calibrate the data that comes out. Now that we have serial comms working (or mostly working), perhaps we should set the next mile marker as getting the log message to produce a reading from the temp sensor. Should be easy to check it against a cup of warm water vs the freezer, and some other data points.

So some future enhancements might include a little schematic drawing, showing the hip bone connected to the leg bone, using more than three data points to create the lookup table, using python and wx like FreeEMS Tune, and a disco ball for some flash.
Attachments
debug.PNG
(8 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
secure.PNG
(10.67 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Fred

Post by Fred »

jharvey wrote:Now that I've got it running, I think I see how it works. However, I'm assuming this uses a circuit that has 5vreg to a bias R (default 2200 ohms) then to Rth then to gnd. The A/D reading is between GND and in between Rth and Rbias.
yep, sounds about right, 2200 is the NipponDenso jap standard.
This program creates a look up table for use with FreeEMS (or perhaps other) that could be downloaded to the EMS and used to calibrate the data that comes out.
No, it produces a C file to compile into FreeEMS but some minor extensions could generate a file to load via FreeEMS-Tuner once we finish the work around those formats etc.
Now that we have serial comms working (or mostly working), perhaps we should set the next mile marker as getting the log message to produce a reading from the temp sensor.
I've already got messages like taht, but with the ascii logging...

I'm working hard to get your specs and aarons specs so we can all work in parallel. It all takes time though.
So some future enhancements might include a little schematic drawing, showing the hip bone connected to the leg bone
Good idea :-) Shameem ? Only if you are bored... :-)
using more than three data points to create the lookup table
Not required, the spreadsheet in /doc/ can help you tune it to your data before generating the compilable file.

Fred.