Where to begin? 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
B4outfitter
TO92 - Vaguely active

Where to begin? 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic

Post by B4outfitter »

I am very new to this side of automobiling. In fact I am not ever sure where to start.

My Project: A 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic. Its primary use is as a family carrier, but we are not your typical family. Most of our time is spent traveling to off-road and safari type adventures.

My Goal: To experiment with fuel mapping; better fuel economy and power gains. The former being priority.

I am not sure of all the possibilities of programing an ecu, but I am very attracted to the idea of it. And yet, I may be in over my head.

If I could get some feed back and/or ideas to begin on or to detour me from this aspect of the project, it would be appreciated. There are not a lot of options availible to the Cherokee enthusiast, therefore I have been inspired to investigate the possibilities.

Thank you,
Shannon
Fred

Re: Where to begin? 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic

Post by Fred »

Hi, Welcome! :-)

FreeEMS is still in it's infancy, and is a fairly serious thing to start putting on your car at the moment, but if you want a practical solution and you want it now, MS2 isn't a bad way to go for the time being! :-)

Whatever you choose, your hardest part will be physical robustness! You need to keep it clean, dry and free from vibrations and even your engine RPM/Position sensors need to be protected as branches and such can end up poking around in your engine bay sometimes.

Maybe even look at microsquirt for it's environmental considerations.

I don't know how crazy you go off-raod, but I do know some people that go absolutely nuts and engine management needs to be done right for them :-)

If you're up for a lot of hand holding etc you could dual ecu the vehicle and help test code, but be aware, that would be a BIG time sink for you, and as HELL of a steep learning curve :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
gsune
DIP8 - Involved

Post by gsune »

Hello friend I am Gustavo from Venezuela.
I have a cherokee classic 2000 to which I am installing the Megasquirt V3 MS2.
First of all I´ll say that MegaSquirt does not support the cherokee toothed wheel pattern
I was asking why in this forum:
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 91&t=30527
But i never got a response.
So after years a decide to install a toothed wheel ( 36-1 ) in the balancer damper.
i still having troubles with this wheel because it isn´t centered properly so i have spikes in the vr signal.
Greetings
Fred

Post by Fred »

gsune, if you get a FreeEMS built and connected, we can take a binary log of the triggers and I should be able to write a decoder for you from that alone. This assumes correct circuits and a noise free install, though. I don't need degreed information as James asked for ;-) We can work out the engine angle relative to the sensors at a later date. I'd be pleased to have that data, so do get it for me! :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
gsune
DIP8 - Involved

Post by gsune »

OOOOOHHHH THANKS MY FRIEND
YOU ARE MY RESCUER :lol2: