Our Turbo Pugeot 205 Hill Climb Project

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
opticaltrigger
TO220 - Visibile

Our Turbo Pugeot 205 Hill Climb Project

Post by opticaltrigger »

Hi everyone,
This is my first time on the site guys and Im really pleased I came across it,I think it's one of those great things thats very rare and hard to find.
Im totaly blown away by the level of all your work and have a very great deal to learn.Much respect is due.

It's allways a strange one when you first start out on a forum (a bit like being the new kid in school I guess),dont know where anything is or where it's kept,but I'm sure I'll figure it out.
About a year or so back a good friend of mine took his car to the local workshop to have some performance work done.Well,they promised the usual stuff,you know-42000 BHP @ twelve RPM rising steadily all the way to nine grand.What came back however,didnt match up that way.
After a short conversation over a beer we decided to start again and build a little hill climb car out of it with a few propper mod's.

Anyway here it is,It's a Pugeot 205 1900cc.
We are in the process of building a manifold for a turbo and Ive been building a sequential ignition system for it using a coil for each plug,on a PIC 16F876 MCU.
It's the PIC bit which got me here.Untill we started this project about a year back I had know understanding of programing or electronics and have been on a pretty steep learning curve with it all since.Anyway the ignition system I built for it works great but we want a turbo on it and the ignition retard required has meant that my modified distributor is a bit out of it's depth now and if Im honest with myself,its from another time as far as goes engine management.But it has taught me a very great deal in a very short space of time and ultimatley has lead me here where I hope I can expand my knowledge further and hopfully get up to speed with where you guys are at somday.

Started out with this for a body,the old one was shot.
Stripped it out
Welded in a cage

Im just gona stick random ones in now but in some kind of progresion.
ImageImage
EssEss
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Our Turbo Pugeot 205 Hill Climb Project

Post by EssEss »

cool
Fred

Post by Fred »

The pics with the dry stone wall (not dry now) and the house and background brings back some memories. I was going to guess cotswolds then I read your location. Quite a bit south of the cotswolds. I did go past there late one night on my way to st ives, though :-)

Cool car! It needs a FreeEMS sticker on it, though ;-) One of these days...

Fred.

PS, thanks for the thread!
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
opticaltrigger
TO220 - Visibile

Post by opticaltrigger »

I cant think of a better sticker for it.I gota say,Im feeling pretty daunted at the moment with this engine management stuff.Not so much the theory part,Im fairly up to speed with that,it's the implementation of it in the electronic world Im lagging behind on.Ive allready figured out that to get anywhere with it Im gona have to get familliar with the C language.
So can any of you guys start me off in the right direction and perhaps let me know of any good material I can use so that at least I can get a grip of it?
And forgive my ignorance here but what are you guys using as hardware to try all your software out on,because I need to get it so that I can try this stuff out on the project car.Preferably I would like to build all the circuit board up myself and program it.
In otherwords guys,How do I get started with this as fast as possible?

All the very best
O.T.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The electronics surrounding the cpu of a simple and robust ems aren't overly tricky really. All the magic happens in software :-)

If you want to customise or contribute, yes, C is a prerequisite. C is just the vehicle of expression for the terms used though. IE, try to read the code, parts of it may just make sense without much C knowledge.

As for hardware, a TA proto card plugged into various things. i have two, one on the bench covered in leds etc and one on a perf card that i ran in a car. once software is more stable IO wise we'll knock out boards that are easy to hook to a real car. There is no ign yet, though. All the missing things are coming :-)

I hope this helps!

Fred.
opticaltrigger
TO220 - Visibile

Post by opticaltrigger »

Yes,that helps alot,
Im starting to build a picture of whats taking place now.This really is a privilage to be able to watch this kind of stuff taking place.Absolutley top grade stuff.Whilst Im not so adept at the software thats going on I can just about get a rough glimps of the blocks of it as it reads though.
I cant wait to see all this come to fruition in the near future and look forward to being able to put it all on the car.Untill that day comes I'll keep pluging away with my PICs with the project car and post it up as I go and hopfully some of you might get chance to read through my software and drop me some tips and ideas on how it can be improved on or expanded upon.

The next task with my PIC ignition is to get to grips with look up tables and delays using RPM so that I can back off the lead in proportion to boost.Originaly I chickened out and told myself that the way round this was to use a pressure retard capsule on the distributor but I have come to my senses now and realised that somtimes in order to progress you have to step outside of your comfort zone or else you just wont learn much.
So I have to do it properly and do it on software really.(Cant wait to get into it).

ALL the best
O.T.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Throw up a thread about the PIC stuff seperately if you want/please :-)

It's nice to see others projects. Probably put it in here : http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Fred.
opticaltrigger
TO220 - Visibile

Post by opticaltrigger »

Hi guys,
Thought I would put up some pics of the car again as we have been hanging intercoolers and turbos.
Starting to think about firing it up soon.

Keep up the great work on the EMS guys.
All the best
O.T.

ImageImage
opticaltrigger
TO220 - Visibile

Post by opticaltrigger »

Hi all,I'm still out here watching and trying to learn but I have to face facts and accept that I'm not gona get up to speed with the software,at least not to a point where I could contribute anyway.However the moment this all goes live I'll be trying to put one together though.
Anyway a few more pictures of the car and whats been hapening.

Keep up all the great work your all doing guys.
All the best
O.T.

Fred

Post by Fred »

Cool :-)

Hey, why are you using those massive old school can coils? Why not a modern laminated one (or four!)? They are way more efficient, smaller, hotter (generally) etc.

Are you going to share your PIC code with a FOSS license? I'd be interested to read it :-)

Hopefully we can bring the system up to a generally usable level by early next year at the latest. Lots to do, but several people are dedicated to it, so it should happen.

Fred.