Our Turbo Pugeot 205 Hill Climb Project

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Fred

Re: Our Turbo Pugeot 205 Hill Climb Project

Post by Fred »

opticaltrigger wrote:Oh,that part's real easy Fred.The decision is already there.Free EMS.
I'm sorry for being both presumptuous and unclear. I meant the trigger pattern style :-)
I want to run a set of 440cc injectors in place of the standard ones and perhaps a trigger wheel on the pully with a hall sensor over it.I'm thinking now about how to rig up a cam sensor for it to as I recall you saying earlier that to have sequential ignition it's required.
You have to have the cam sensor for COP but you can do away with the crank and JUST use a CAS unit of some sort, if you want.
I would really like to get your thoughts on the details of things like the trigger wheel,for example is a 36/1 wheel acceptable and what you think would be best for rigging up a cam sensor.
36-1 with a 180 hall/opto cam sensor is fine, so is 36-1 with a single pulse cam sensor. Right now, that code needs work, but in a few months it should be stable for your use. If there are later versions of this engine that have crank wheels that are easily fittable, consider just using one of those, even if the pattern is a bit odd. Adding support shouldn't be too difficult.
Also another concern for me is the best location for the 02 sensor etc.
Don't put it too close to the turbo, or it will exceed required heat. They have a built in heater so can run correctly in cool air, and just turn the heat down when the exhaust is streaming over them. The closer to the turbo you are the less delay there is between injection and reading that charge, but, on the flip side, the further away you are, the more accurate the reading is as combustion is more complete. Lastly, the sensor should be in the top of the pipe or a bit off from the top, but not more than 45* each way. I find that it's most convenient to mount it right on the top of the pipe right below the firewall for a short wiring run to the wideband controller and a good compromise in other factors.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
opticaltrigger
TO220 - Visibile

Post by opticaltrigger »

Excellent,I will begin by ordering a 36/1 trigger wheel and fasion it to the end of the crank pully.I have a TPS and ATS in the workshop so I have a few bits to get on with.
Thanks for the tip on the o2 sensor location Fred.I will take your advise on it and put it at the back of the header behind the firewall and I will see if I can get the ATS somwhere near the throtle body.
Once it looks like Im geting somwhere with the sensors Fred I hope I can take your advise on what to buy for the hardware side of things and get some help with the actual conection and instalation side.
This is great!!!,if it were'nt so late Id be on my way to the workshop right now.
All the very best and thanks again
O.T.
Fred

Post by Fred »

You want to put the IAT sensor somewhere where it's least likely to get heat soaked. If you were using a FMIC I'd suggest on the output tank or in the pipe just after that, but given your setup there may be a better place. If the back of the sensor gets clean airflow from the front of the car, that is ideal. Provided that you use an open element GM style sensor and it's properly in the airflow between cooler output and throttle you'll be more or less OK, hopefully.

Re the 36-1, be careful about the pulley, many are two part with only rubber holding the outer, and it can slip and change position. Make sure it's mounted to something solid on the crank. I don't mean to patronise by saying this, it's a relatively easy mistake to make.
opticaltrigger
TO220 - Visibile

Post by opticaltrigger »

I just read this and it's great for guys like me.Excellent thread:-
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1084

After reading the above and some head scratching I've decided to opt for the sequential injection and wasted spark option.As I understand things,and please do say if you feel there's a better option or I'm just way off the mark here.I wont need a cam sensor if I dont have the COP but should support become available for COP and sequential injection I could add one at that time and upgrade then.
I really want to get stuck into some electronic hardware now so I need to take advice on where and what to buy so that I can end up with a board that needs programing and connecting up.I'm really looking forward to putting it all together but I have no idea what to get in terms of circuit diagrams,components etc or for that matter what TA card to get,I dont even know where on the forum to find it I'm ashamed to say.
Also it would be great to download the user interface software and become familliar with it if thats possible.
As allways,all the best
O.T.
Fred

Post by Fred »

opticaltrigger wrote:I just read this and it's great for guys like me.Excellent thread:-
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1084
Thanks, I'm glad the effort went to some good use and I'm glad you liked it too! :-)
After reading the above and some head scratching I've decided to opt for the sequential injection and wasted spark option.
This is probably a good choice at sub 20psi/9k RPM power levels. It's really a matter of taste. The benefits of sequential over semi and cop over wasted are both relatively minor. Neither are to be sneezed at, though. I had the opposite on my truck with COP and two channel staggered batch :-o :-/ :-( :-)
As I understand things,and please do say if you feel there's a better option or I'm just way off the mark here.I wont need a cam sensor if I dont have the COP but should support become available for COP and sequential injection I could add one at that time and upgrade then.
You're slightly off the mark. You do need the cam sync if you run either COP or sequential or both. Without it the best you can do is wasted and semi sequential with 4 outputs in use, unless you have staged injectors, if you do, then you will not need a cam sensor because you'll use all 6 channels in semi/wasted modes. There is also the option to run COP/sequential with Sean's pre-alpha XGATE code, however I wouldn't recommend that just yet for a variety of reasons.
I really want to get stuck into some electronic hardware now so I need to take advice on where and what to buy so that I can end up with a board that needs programing and connecting up. I'm really looking forward to putting it all together but I have no idea what to get in terms of circuit diagrams,components etc or for that matter what TA card to get
Check out Sim's thread in the DIY hw section:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1263

The best thing you can do is start a thread in that section on your hardware build and link this thread and start formulating a plan, telling us about it and asking questions. If you do that we can correct what you've got wrong before you spend money and get you to a working solution faster. Also check out his comments thread where quite a bit of development chatter went on :-)

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1262 < comments.
I dont even know where on the forum to find it I'm ashamed to say.
Don't be ashamed of that, I should be ashamed of it, however... Let me dig you up a link... Hmm, actually, maybe you should, it was in the right place! :-)

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=471 - sticked in the DIY section of the hardware section.
Also it would be great to download the user interface software and become familliar with it if thats possible.
I'll try to get you the latest. Are you running Windows? If you're not running windows and are on mac or linux, you can build it from source yourself.

Fred.
opticaltrigger
TO220 - Visibile

Post by opticaltrigger »

Thats great Fred,thanks for all that info and tips.I'm gona go get stuck into those thread links right away,it should help take the soldering iron twitch out of me,at least for now anyway.
Oh,and yes.It's Windows XP.

Again,many thanks as always
O.T.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I've ordered you a fresh shiny new win build of MTX. Should be available later today with some luck :-)
opticaltrigger
TO220 - Visibile

Post by opticaltrigger »

Thanks very much Fred,
Downloaded it without a hitch and it looks great.Going to spend some time geting to grips with it now.I have to say at first glance this really looks tremendous.
All the best
O.T.
Fred

Post by Fred »

You can thank Dave for the hard work on that! :-) The latest stuff and the latest firmware are working really REALLY well together. I'm pretty happy with progress, even if the road is a bit bumpy at times :-)

Fred.
opticaltrigger
TO220 - Visibile

Post by opticaltrigger »

Dave,thanks very much.Excellent work.
Went over to the car today to get it warmed up and move some fluids round it and I thought it would be a good idea to get some video of it running with it's stock ignition and fuel systems.This shows the difference in how the engine runs when running properly.
Anyway here's the link to the video.
All the best guys
O.T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhWzeqGd ... ideo_title