Sean's 94 LT1 (large image files)

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Sean's 94 LT1 (large image files)

Post by SleepyKeys »

6" rod 355ci LT1
T56 trans
Home brew T70 Turbo setup

Comments/Suggestions welcome :)

-sean
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Re: Sean's 94 LT1 (large image files)

Post by Fred »

God damn! What do they rev to? Thats mean :-) Home brew turbo setups FTW :-)

That T70 flows 25% more than my he351cw! you could be making 700 - 850 crank hp from that, have you dynoed it? How much boost are you pushing?

Here is where I am on my compressor map (estimated) :
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/ ... rankHP.jpg
And roughly where I hope to be when I up the boost to the whole 27psi (500 - 550 crank hp) :
And a fake dyno based on fuel flow from duty cycle in my logs :
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/ ... /power.jpg

Have you got more detailed pics of the setup at all, or videos of you misbehaving in it? Must blow a few hondas away ;-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

Fred wrote:God damn! What do they rev to? Thats mean :-) Home brew turbo setups FTW :-)

That T70 flows 25% more than my he351cw! you could be making 700 - 850 crank hp from that, have you dynoed it? How much boost are you pushing?

Here is where I am on my compressor map (estimated) :
And roughly where I hope to be when I up the boost to the whole 27psi (500 - 550 crank hp) :
And a fake dyno based on fuel flow from duty cycle in my logs :
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/ ... /power.jpg

Have you got more detailed pics of the setup at all, or videos of you misbehaving in it? Must blow a few hondas away ;-)

Fred.
Originally I wanted a T76, but I ran across a good deal on a T70 and did a little investigation and came to the same conclusion you did "impressive little bastard". Plus I figured less lag than the 76, so it would make it more street friendly. So I got it and built my setup around that. I have the 10# spring in the waste-gate right now. I'll hookup the boost solenoid in the next few weeks.

Being that the motor is 8.8:1 and intended for use with pump gas, I would say that it should make about 750 at the crank. I'll have to do meth injection to prevent knock. Even though I can buy 105 oct fuel locally I only have 55#/hr injectors and I'm sure I'll need something in the 70# range to really abuse the T70. I think with those flow #s it should push high teens boost wise.

I'll take some more detailed pics soon, I need to wash it, the car sat for over a year :oops:

-sean
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

This may seem somewhat selfish and narrow minded, but I ask anyone posting imperial figures to post metric with them. lb/hr means nothing to me at all :-( though, I can look it up. Degrees F is even worse (no direct ratio comparision...).

Imperial is a broken old system, good for measuring wheels and manhood and little else ;-)

I realise that measuring injectors in cc/min is strictly quite wrong, but it's the accepted standard these days.

Google tells me 55lb/hr = 550cc/min = 110hp each = 880hp total for a V8. I think using larger ones would be extreme overkill for your 750 goals. What are your current duty cycles looking like?

I would just like those USA members to try to remember the international flavour of the board, particularly when it comes to units of measurement :-) You yanks only make up 10% of the world afterall :-)

Looking forward to those pictures (and vids!!!)

Fred.
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

Fred wrote:This may seem somewhat selfish and narrow minded, but I ask anyone posting imperial figures to post metric with them. lb/hr means nothing to me at all :-( though, I can look it up. Degrees F is even worse (no direct ratio comparision...).

Imperial is a broken old system, good for measuring wheels and manhood and little else ;-)
lol maybe a little, but broken indeed, I don't like it either, but thats how I communicate with my fellow yanks.
Fred wrote: Google tells me 55lb/hr = 550cc/min = 110hp each = 880hp total for a V8. I think using larger ones would be extreme overkill for your 750 goals. What are your current duty cycles looking like?
At what brake specific? I haven't checked DC since the MS install, but with the factory ecu and my procharger making 9 psi it was at 73% dc. I read that my Bosch injectors should only be used to 85% dc, that statement may however be hear say.

-sean
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

While the injector is on there is cool fuel flowing through it, so I strongly doubt it would be a real issue for any injector.

Having said that, you do want some margin, so that is of course a fair call. i worked out my power based on low rich as hell BSFC and 100% duty (which is where I am from 6500 up) and came up with 550cc = 96hp, so if I was right, and you are similarly rich and inefficient, you must be pushing 96*((total period * 0.73) - dead time)/total period * 8 hp (but you'd have to give an rpm and dead time to get a figure from it :-)
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

That seemed to do the trick, now for bigger injectors. It's a good thing my inter cooler inlet blew off, or I might have been walking home. I guess its only wise to rev it up to 4K right now :( But you would think it was turning 12K rpm the way it takes off.

The JAW has proven to be a very functional unit. I didn't get a chance to run the JAW and LM1 side by side, but by looking at the logs I have decided there is no reason to purchase an LM1 and have since returned my borrowed innovate unit.

-sean
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

You know you are making good power when you run out of fuel :-)

Can't wait for videos :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Bump from the not dead, but simply in hibernation!

Having now had a ride in this beast I can conclusively say that it is fcuking fast! We reckon about 600hp at the crank based on fuel flow and a fairly good tune, nice work.

The intercooler in the front is now not visible and very sleeper/stealthy. More good work there in my books :-)

I now have the great pleasure of exposing Sean's LT1 as a toluene consumer :

http://stuff.fredcooke.com/SeanOnToluene.jpg - 600k file

This took away the light knock and smoothed up the engine enough for Sean to notice - me, I was just busy holding on!

I think he ran it at about 20% with 91 aki gas.

At home I ran 33% with 93 aki gas and pushed 17psi into 10:1 compression without issue.

Time to crack out that computer and get some code written man, sucks not having good knock/boost/cranking/etc huh? :-p

Fred.
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

I'm glad you had a chance to ride in it!!!!!!!! Now you know why my LSD is a bit worn haha. Your HP figures sound about right. Not bad for 160 KPA(displacement FTW)?

Hopefully before you head out I'll get it bumped up for one last victory lap and maybe let some air out of the tires for a little more grip . It should have enough injector to bump it to 185KPA or so(not that my clutch can take much more only 680ft/lbs raiting) so we'll see...

I'll have to post up some pics showing how hard it is to spot the IC now.

91 aki gas at best. I will be buying a 55gal drum of toluene in the near future. Thanks for the encouragement to try it. I'm sure my engine is thankful too haha.

Yes feature consistency would be nice. Seems I will need to tweak my hardware to get knock detection working again. I need to get that decoder done SOON.
You snooze, you lose!