Cam's AE85.6

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Fred

Re: Cam's AE85.6

Post by Fred »

Cam, you know how I'm fairly abrasive? Ben is similar, but like me, he's a good bastard :-)

The even/odd thing stops mattering in the high counts, but 4, 6, 8 not so good, 5, 7 = good.

Wheels are a personal thing, and the man has a solid point about brakes. I'd prefer to stay with 15" rims on the ute, but I won't get 300mm rotors under there. I'll probably end up using gtst r32 skyline rims which are cheap, light, good looking and 16". I can get decent brakes under those and they will look the part and cost sfa.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
BenFenner
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by BenFenner »

I wasn't complaining about the choice in diameter or anything else really (width, offset, brand, weight, color, etc.). It's the looks I'm upset with, and as you can see from my avatar, I'm a bit biased.
Although if you'd like me to complain about the color...

I see that the wheels I mentioned weren't available to you at the time.
All is forgiven. =]
sry_not4sale
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by sry_not4sale »

Maybe if they were 15" wantabes they would be worth keeping. Early 80's cars look horrid with too small a wheel I recon. Well, at least my early 80's whale does.
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
Fred

Post by Fred »

The only car I can think of that is best with a smaller wheel than 15" is the classic mini which is best at 12 or so. Everything else almost without exception wants 15 up.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
deviousKA
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by deviousKA »

Id be interested in those small low offset panasport/watanabe looking wheels if you consider getting rid of them. ((EDIT:Nevermind, realize your not in the states))

Nice ae86 btw, I have a couple myself they are great cars.
gimpy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by gimpy »

Don't know if this will help your stuck rings or not(I've never used it,but have heard good things about it)Yamaha markets some stuff called Ring Free or something like that here in the US that works wonders(it is pricey @ $32 US a Liter)Gimpy
slacker.cam
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by slacker.cam »

Thanks gimpy for your suggestion. Ill check it out and see if i can get some here in NZ. I was planning on bolting a bellhousing and starter up to it and turning it over to see if that'd loosen them up but i forgot and put the bellhousing back on the gearbox.... Bugger. I think i'll just take the punt and put it in and see what happens. 20V's are easy to come by here so if worst comes to worst then ill just pull the whole lot out and replace it/rebuild it and slap a turbo on the side. Regardless, this is all a few months away so i can worry about it at another time.

Here are some progress pics from the last week. I got basically nothing done on the car over the last month due to xmas and being out of town etc. Also the other half likes expensive gifts so that doesn't help either.

Pics below show what I've been up to. Cleaned out interior (everything relocated to storage shed), stripped remaining interior panels and seat, removed sound deadening (this job sucks A LOT), grinding off unneeded brackets (every kg counts), and fitting up my re-drilled S14 Silvia brake rotors and calipers.

Mmmmm 15x8's. Damn that looks sweet. Need tyres ASAP!

RB30 anyone? This is my flatmates project. Soon to be an RB30 DOHC. Block ready to go away to be prepped (acid dipped, honed, decked, etc). Mainly posted just to make Fred drool ;)