Cam's AE85.6

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
slacker.cam
QFP80 - Contributor

Cam's AE85.6

Post by slacker.cam »

Right... Where to start. The middle i guess, why not. In true slacker Cam nature i cant be bothered to dig out my old photos as theyre all unorganised etc etc. So I'll kick it all off with some pics from the last few days.

What you're looking at is my project car, a Toyota Sprinter Tureno AE85 thats being slowly converted into a road legal trackday weapon. So far I've been working on it for circa 3 years but progress is speeding up a lot recently since I moved out of home (and having to work in the driveway) and into a flat with a BIG 2 car garage.

Here are some random pics of the flat and the car to give me a starting point. At the moment i have a 4age thats been sitting for about a year on my garage floor without being turned over and as a result it seems to have rings that are stuck and as a result no compression. 3 gold stars and an elephant stamp for anyone who can suggest how i might be able to get them to free up again without pulling the head off. There is some rust on the bores but from what i can see it appears to only be at the bottom of the bore, below the lowest point that the rings get to. Also there seems to be no major scoring on the bores so the rings not sealing is about the only thing that it could be.

A few random specs:
AE85 shell
20V 4AGE silver top
W55 gearbox
Custom bellhousing
Late model 4AGZE flywheel and clutch
Hilux diff w/ redrilled hubs, freshened up diff head
S14 Silvia brakes front and rear (4 pot front, single pot rears)
Front struts converted to adjustable coilovers
D2 adjustable suspension
Cage to come
Wheels to come
etc
etc

Pics time:

Fred

Re: Cam's AE85.6

Post by Fred »

You are making me jealous of the views, trees, gradients, cars, engines, fresh air, and even though I couldn't see any : Food! :-p

About bloody time you posted something up, I'll have to take a closer look at the AE pics later :-)

Hurry up and put a desk together so you can put a FreeEMS on top of it ;-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
slacker.cam
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by slacker.cam »

Ok here are the vids. I can;t figure out how to embed them directly into the post so here are the links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Br56orbgE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni5zxXiCBPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuvTmu1scLg
slacker.cam
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by slacker.cam »

Well I've been shopping the past couple of weeks. Finally found some wheels that don't cost the earth in a decent size/offset in 4x114.3 This is a big step as before I can paint I need to know what (if any) guard work is going to be needed so I need to know what rims are going to be on the thing. What i found are Sport Maxx 002's in 15x8 and the best part, 0 offset. They look the buisiness, weigh surprisingly little for a single piece rim and only cost $800nz (~$400us). Also got my hands on some shorter steering arms out of a AE86 with PS for mean drift angles. The last expenditure has been a set of 4-1 extractors of unknown brand but they have a flexy joint and apparently have been coated with some form of high temp coating. They just need a few minor mods to fit up to the 20V head and I'll be sorted.

Still not 100% sure what to do with the motor. Ive been turning it over regulary in the hope that the rings will suss themselves out but to no avail. Fred seems to think i might be paranoid which would be sweet as i REALLY dont need yet another hurdle in the build process. Ill talk to another mate and an engine reconditioners in the next few days to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. Fingers crossed.....

Now its time for some pics for your time wasting pleasure ;)

First up is pics of the aftermath of our flatwarming the other night. The fire got slightly out of control, i dont think the 3 seater couch that got thrown on helped much, im just happy the fire department didnt show up. Not in the pics is the North Shore wheely recycle bin thats also fill with bottles - this probably explains why previously mentioned couch found its way onto the fire. Perfect demonstation of parties being mean so long as they aren't at your house haha.

BenFenner
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by BenFenner »

You went from Watanabes to those?!

*cry*
BenFenner

Post by BenFenner »

You seriously went with those over their 513?

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=35108&page=1

They come in the same size and offset and should be the same price. How did you pass over these?
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'm with cam on that, even spoke counts never ever look good.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
BenFenner

Post by BenFenner »

Fred wrote:I'm with cam on that, even spoke counts never ever look good.
It's hard to be "with cam" on this one thinking even spoke counts don't look good. Did you count the number of spokes on the wheels he bought?
slacker.cam
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by slacker.cam »

Um well yeah sorry but of course i ditched the watanabes and their pitiful 13"s of diameter, SFA inches of width and complete lack of dish/offest/whatever you wanna call it. Even if they were the best rims on the planet I just couldnt run them as my front brakes dont have a chance of fitting under those wheels. Plus how many AE86's have you seen with Watanabes? They're not exactly original are they?

As for why I decided on the 002's, well the importers only have a couple of sportmaxx varieties as this shipment was a bitve a test for them. So if at some later stage they bring in the wannabe watanabes then i can easily grab a set of those too. For now I'm just happy i can move on to the next stage and stop worrying about having to spend bucket loads of cash on wheels.

I honestly think they look pretty sweet. If you saw them in the flesh I think you may change your mind. Plus... we all know that rims look shit without tyres.

Watch this space.
BenFenner

Post by BenFenner »

I've seen enough of the 002s on cars to know what they look like. They'd be halfway decent if they weren't fake multi-piece.

You are dead to me. :D