Jaguar XJ12L crossbreed

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
L98TPI
TO220 - Visibile

Jaguar XJ12L crossbreed

Post by L98TPI »

It has a Chevy small block conversion with a carb right now but is going to get a TPI setup as soon as hardware is available. I have most of the engine side stuff already. I am wondering if I should put up a few pics or remain anonymous? I will have to blank out the license plates if I do. :shock:

Last edited by L98TPI on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any tool can be the right tool...
Fred

Re: Jaguar XJ12L crossbreed

Post by Fred »

Everyone loves pics.

What I could do is make a public user rides and a private user rides so the shy can still post a thread for other users only.

Or are you thinking a ms person might recognise it and get upset?

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
L98TPI
TO220 - Visibile

Post by L98TPI »

You do remember what need started MS right? But I am not that dude, but I do live in the same state in the general area. Some knuckle head might mistake me for someone else and make a incorrect assumption and think the MS cool aid has worn off and I (misidentified) have gone over to the dark side (DIYEFI).I guess I am being a little paranoid. ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

L98TPI wrote:You do remember what need started MS right?
The need for B&G to make some cash? Certainly that is how it seemed at the time and how all the docs were worded :-)

Why don't you tell us the story, perhaps it is missing from my version as appears on the main page?

Fred.
L98TPI
TO220 - Visibile

Post by L98TPI »

The way I remember it was that B or G I don't recall which at the moment had a Jag Chevy conversion and wanted to ditch the carb and retrofit a tuned port injection system (ah la camaro firebird corvette 85 to 91 ish) and / or were not happy with running it with the oem ecu IIRC, That's why MS is closely tailored to GM stuff, of that era (HEI/points dist. stepper IAC ect.). I had ran across some old posting where the two were talking about this way before MS jelled, they were using some proto system held together with band aids and bailing wire.

Seems ironic to me that history is repeating its self, for me at least.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Al did/does have efi332 running his car, and that was about 2 years before ms1. I see no reason why he would downgrade to ms1 from efi332 even if it was a complex unwieldy beast.

I have no idea what sort of car it was in though.

Fred.
L98TPI
TO220 - Visibile

Post by L98TPI »

I just eyeballed the efi332 page where it mentions it was running in Al's Camaro. But here is a excerpt from a early version of the MS manual that confirms BB's Jag/Chevy combo.
For an example, look at the sample VE table later in this section. It is the default
MegaSquirt table, from the 350cid Chevrolet V8 engine that Bruce Bowling has in his
Jaguar. It will work adequately for starting your tuning efforts in many more applications
than you might suspect.
So they both had TPI Chevy engines. Maybe one was TBI thus the need for low impedance injector control.

So It looks like history is repeating its self in having someone involved in the project driving a Jag/Chevy hybrid

ME
L98TPI
TO220 - Visibile

Post by L98TPI »

I love this interweb thing that Al Gore invented :roll:
I took a look in what I think is AG's driveway via google street view, the view is a bit fuzzy but it looks like there is a 80's Camaro sitting in the driveway! :o Well shoot me with poo and kill me for stinking :lol2:
Delta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by Delta »

But didn't you know? The environment is failing! So WE all have to do something (so that THEY can continue driving F350's and big block powered 70's sportscars)........ermmm....yes....Politicians are all liars and cheats - so what did you expect.

I'll keep driving my turbo powered beast - and the other project sitting on the driveway will get MUCH worse economy than that when its finished! If they say we HAVE to offset our carbon here in Aus I'll have to go buy some land to build a shed on - put the cars and all my tools in the shed, and fill the rest of the property with trees hahahaha.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Stuff trees, as soon as I can afford it I'm going to fill an underground tank with some fuel that doesn't go off and laugh at all you buggers when there's none left.

If you want to argue the fact that it will/won't run out in my lifetime, A grow a sense of humour, B start a new thread.

Fred.