88 Mazda 626 T3/T4 MS2

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
SiFlyBy
QFP80 - Contributor

88 Mazda 626 T3/T4 MS2

Post by SiFlyBy »

I picked up this baby November '07. All pics are after the T3 and 5sp swap.

Had a blown turbo. I bought a 90 Ford Probe that had some mule deer body damage and and a good drivetrain. Put the stock turbo on and drove it for awhile. Then I got bored and had to start playing. One weekend I swapped the 5sp trans and a T3 from a Thunderbird Turbocoupe. Heres the build:

T3 flange welded on to a stock manifold

Port matched

Turbo mounted and ready for some fab

My buddy on the TIG

With all this done I had made a boring commuter car into a fun daily driver. But the T3 died after about a month. I rolled the stock turbo for a few weeks while the new turbo was obtained. A few weeks after I installed the T3/T4 I was out hotrodding and spun a rod bearing( later found to be due to the previous owners obvious lack of care for a turbocharged vehicle). So out came the stock engine and in went the Probes engine. At the end of June I ordered MS and over the summer I built, installed and tuned it(not without the help of some good friends though, especially Fred). It sbeen running on MS for a few weeks and im overall pretty happy with it. I finally got the exhaust plumbed all the way to the back of the car and I can actualy hear the beautiful sound of my wastegate opening. Next up are a 255lph fuel pump and some DSM injectors that I have laying around, 16-18psi, hopefully about 300 whp and shortly thereafter a blown clutch :lol2: . Hope you all enjoy.

Chris
Fred

Re: 88 Mazda 626 T3/T4 MS2

Post by Fred »

Nice welding mate! Post some higher res pics of the downpipe etc, I love perving at good welding :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
SiFlyBy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by SiFlyBy »

Well you better get some glasses then because those shitty cellphone pics are all I have. ;) And since its installed on my car and wrapped in header wrap there aren't going to be anymore, sorry. All the other pipes are painted(black now) so no nice pics to show there either.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Ahh well, I can live without the pics, but the compliment needed to be said :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
SiFlyBy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by SiFlyBy »

Actually I do have some more on my phone. They may be a little better that these. I can't get them on my computer at the moment so I will get them up here when I can.

I would love to take the compliment, but all I can do is pass it on as my friend did all the welding. He really did and exceptional job, especially on the WG plumbing which is all SS.

Except for the T3 flange on the manifold, I did that but it looks like hell. It is holding though and the manifold is also wrapped so noone will ever see it;)
SiFlyBy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by SiFlyBy »

Well here are some update pics:

this is the new T3/T4 installed
pimpin' gauges in my KusTummZ guagepod holder thing. THe EGT guage is zip-tied to the oil pressure guage. :oops:
a pic of my T3/T4 compared to the turbo from a 6.0L diesel
Ok Fred, these nex 3 are for you...get out the lotion :lol2:
This one is after MS install. The MSD coil is gone now because I had to jack my dwell way up to get it to work well.