Just got my self a toy

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Fred

Re: Just got my self a toy

Post by Fred »

Why act, why not a proper exedy? That could be your issue, perhaps its the wrong part for the car? The bits of metal, are they steel or ally? If ally, maybe i fowled the bell housing? could you have put the disk on backwards and jammed the spline against something? Hard to know, but something isn't right there is it. Bad luck.

It seems everyone who works on this project is cursed.

I nearly burn down the house, nearly cut off my finger, dave blows his HG, you destroy your clutch, Sean has some maniac burn down his work LOL, what next?

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Well it's all in the interest of free entertainment. And that's not as in cost right.

Hmmm, clutch disk in backwards. I'll have to stew that a bit. I don't think it mattered, but perhaps it did. Hmmm, I'd say the larger metal bits are iron, they were a cobalt blue from the carbon leaching. But the smaller filings are hard to tell. I should have seen if they were magnetic, but hadn't thought of it. I believe the kit comes complete, plus the flywheel, so it should have been the correct parts.

Sorry to hear about the finger, I don't think that's what the mean when they say flipping the finger.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Clutch disk definitely matters. Quite a common noob mistake too ;-)

The finger is fine, but at the time I was sure it was going to be NASTY as I hit it pretty hard with the knife. It only went in maybe 5mm on an angle. Plenty of blood, but it's not even sore now so I think I've escaped infection.

Fred.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Just got off the phone with ACT. It turns out they are grade A and I'm grade D for dumb. I'm quite certain I know what the problem is and it's my fault. Damn. On a good note, it sounds like it's only the through out bearing, but I won't know for sure until I tear it apart.

So apparently when folks say it's a push vs pull clutch, they mean the fingers in the pressure plate are pull vs push. When I put it together I left the clutch cable setup the way it was on the original tranny, which is a pull style, which ends up pushing the through out bearing. So when I was pushing quite hard on the pedal, I wasn't fighting a tight clutch, I was pushing the through out bearing quite hard in the wrong direction, which caused it to fail.

I have to say ACT is grade A, I'm finding them very helpful, and professional. They also noted that if it was mfg defect, even though it's several years out side of warranty they would honor the warranty. However, it sounds like it's not their fault, they were also nice enough to tell me that the through out bearing isn't any thing super special, I guess you can use an OEM bearing, however they recommend their bearing because it's better quality.

I'll know more this weekend when I tear it apart. Fingers crossed.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Well, I finally got some lift time, and put Humpty Dumpty back together again. I took the little red suby for a quick spin. It's not done, but it the combination of parts definitely works. I've got something going on with the brakes, perhaps I just need to bleed them more, they are squishy. And I've got to make a better clutch cable bracket, this one will wear through quickly. I've got the hydraulic clutch parts, I just haven't put them in yet.

I wasn't able to really horse on it because we had an inch of snow, probably also good thing with the brakes the way they are. But definitely an improvement over the spinning clutch it had.

Yup works much better when you put the through out bearing in with the right side facing forward.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

So after my tranny problems where resolved, I parked it for the winter. Simply got to cold and I wasn't that willing to work on it. I've just finished installing the hy clutch, and tying up some odds and ends. Topped off the fluids, gave it an oil change, ect. Sure is a different animal with a clutch that can support the load. I need to look into tunning this puppy now. I can upload 5 maps. I'm certainly not happy with the low RPM power curve. Right now once you get over about 3k to 3.5k the power jumps almost 2 fold. When seat of the pants two fold.

Any recommended tunning procedures? I'm fairly new to aggressive tunning.

I'm also becoming more familiar with the HP this puppy puts out. That AWD really make a difference. I've been in higher HP 2WD, simply can't compare at the take off.
Fred

Post by Fred »

About the most you'll get is 1.0G off the line (don't expect the box or rear diff to last doing that often) which can also be achieved in a properly setup RWD vehicle. The RWD of course needs to be fairly balanced and be driven skillfully though. FWD can do well too, but with more extensive setup.

Good to hear she is up and running, and good to hear you are enjoying it :-)

Fred.