Just got my self a toy

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Just got my self a toy

Post by jharvey »

I did something I probably shouldn't have done. I got my self a toy. Here are some pics a co-worker took this this past winter.

It comes with many extras. As you can see it's an Impreza which was normally aspirated, but has a large turbo. Yeah baby. I should be able to bring it home Tuesday or perhaps Wednesday pending registration and such.
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Just got my self a toy

Post by davebmw »

Oh! thats a lovely play thing! :D
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I'd agree, here's a list of mods

Optima yellow top
H&R Springs
AGX Struts
2003 WRX 2.0L engine with ~30K miles on it
VF39 Turbo
Pink Injectors
Blitz Turbo Timer
CAI
Greddy FMIC
Turbo XS BOV
Perrin Uppipe
Turbo XS Downpipe + Exhaust
Prodrive Axleback
UTEC ECU
WRX Front Brake rotors and calipers
WRX Sway bars
Steering rack bushings
Short throw Shifter

Not installed but included with the car:
STi V2 Rear disc Brakes and calipers
JDM STi Version 2 transmission (brandy new insides!!!)
Rear 4.11 Diff
ACT Clutch
Lightweight flywheel
Fred

Post by Fred »

jharvey wrote:Optima yellow top
Pink Injectors
Pretty colours Image
Not installed but included with the car:
JDM STi Version 2 transmission (brandy new insides!!!)
You'll be needing that Image

Sounds like a decent haul of parts and car, what did she set you back or is that top secret?

When you say 4.1 diff, don't forget that the front and rear diffs have to match ratios.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I'll leave the set back as top secret until it's in my yard. I've given the guy a deposit and I'm waiting for a bank check in the mail. Once I get the check and swap the title, she's officially mine. Then I won't have to worry about competition any more.

She also need a bit of work to make it inspectable, tires are bald for some reason, and it was backed into, so I need to fix the front fender and replace the corner light. After that it's legal, then I have a couple small things I need to address, water gets in the rear tail light, so I should fix / replace that.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

It's official, title is in my hand. Yeah baby.

I drove it yesterday for the first time. It's the first time I've driven a car where I was scared to put the petal down. I got up too about 75% throttle and had to let up, at least until I get the real tranny in it. I also have to zip tie up some wires around the pedals. Feet keep getting tangled up, not good when you looking for the brakes.

Sorry but that will likely distract my efforts here for a bit. At least until I get it inspected. Shouldn't be that bad. I need to get it some rubber, and fix a front marker light, that's about it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

jharvey wrote:It's the first time I've driven a car where I was scared to put the petal down. I got up too about 75% throttle and had to let up
LOL, I have the opposite issue in fast cars. I sample full throttle once and then there is no other position for the pedal but all up and all down :-)
Sorry but that will likely distract my efforts here for a bit.
No worries, you were going faster than me anyway! Take your time, let's get it right as possible the first run through :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

So who knows about clutches here? I just got it back together with all the little bits installed, I then started it up for about 4 to 5 seconds and the clutch is now fried. The through out bearing is attached to the pressure plate, and there are a bunch of little metal bits in the bell housing.

I'm trying to figure out what and if I did anything wrong. I used the alignment tools to install the clutch, other than that I don't know anything special. I seem to recall the through out bearing only installs in one direction, so I don't think I accidentally put int in back wards.

Are there any know typical gotchas with clutches, I'm sure you don't pack bearings and such. I simply don't know what went wrong. Best I can figure right now is that the bearing must have been bad. Now I have to tear it apart again Grrrrr. On the brighter side, at least I anti-seized everything, so It will come apart easier this time.
BenFenner
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by BenFenner »

Do you have things apart right now, or are you guessing as to the damage?

Was the clutch a sprung clutch (with springs)? If so, are they all attached and looking good?
Is the clutch lever actuated via cable, or hydraulic line?

From your limited information, it sounds to me like the clutch actuator (hydraulic or cable) wasn't adjusted properly causing the clutch to be slightly disengaged while the car was at rest. This would mean the throw-out-bearing was being pressed against the pressure plate fingers at all times. The clutch could have heated up quickly increasing the failure time and creating enough heat to ruin the throw-out-bearing and/or welding it to the pressure plate.

The odds of this happening in the span of 5 seconds seems highly unlikely though. =(
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

It happened later last night, so it's still mostly together. After it happened, I took out the fork pin and fork boot, to get some very limited visability in the bell housing. The clutch is cable style, and when I started the car, it was in neutral, as well as 6 inches in the air. So even if partly engaged, it shouldn't have gone bad as the tranny could spin freely.

If the tranny end is free to spin, the only way I see to generate the amount of heat it made it to have the through bearing either siezed solid, or perhaps in backwards. It's been a couple weeks since I was dealing with that part of this project, but I do seem to recall, the bearing only went in, in one direction, and seemed to make since when I put it in. So I'm reasonably confident I put the spinning end on in the correct direction. Now I'm wondering what might have caused it to sieze up.

I won't have it apart for a while, I want new parts in hand so I can start putting it back together when I have the chance to work on it. So I won't know for a while if I simply put it in backwards. For now I guess it's a call into ACT to inquire about warranty, and specail gotcha's.