Holden HQ One tonne ute

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Fred

Re: Holden HQ One tonne ute

Post by Fred »

I was gunna say, matt black if you don't mind shit inside melting during summer. I found it a MAJOR pain in the arse in auckland, i imagine matt black in ozzy is borderline suicidal. my skyline was bad enough in glass metalic black. the matt black car (affectionately known as the black death) was really bad. I often left it parked with all four windows down and no valueables inside.

excuse typos
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
longracing
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by longracing »

Black always looks good. 8-)

The list of colours to choose from is a bit small. I will be painting the car myself in Acrylic Laquer (I know it's old tech but there are less dangerous fumes and it will be easier to touch-up. Which I know I will have to do because of the rust :( ).
The original colour was Machinery Grey in enamel, which ment it went matt from oxidisation a few weeks after polishing.
I think black is the cheapest per litre to buy, other colours are Yellow :? , Red, British Racing Green and Midnight Blue. I would like Gunmetal if I could get it but am leaning towards midnight blue depending on the tone.

My dad always told me I wasn't allowed to paint my first car black so I painted Alpine White with blackouts. A few weeks later he ended up buying a dual-cab Rodeo in Black...
Window tint is on the list if I stick with the dark-colours and I need to get a new seal so I can use the sunroof again. Nothing like opening the sunroof in summer to draw fresh air through the vents & up your shorts :mrgreen:
longracing
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by longracing »

Update.

I tried painting the car in Midnight Blue from SuperCheap. The front panels were sprayed but the paint appeared to be more of a purple colour. I guess it would look blue if it was viewed at midnight? Most of that paint has now been removed, however the car still needs a lot of bodywork.

I have almost all the parts for the new engine. Taking my time to blue-print the engine on assembly. The 4-bolt 350 block has been bored to 4.030", decked, de-burred & clearanced. The heads & cam combination will make the engine breathe a lot better, this will make much better use of the fuel injection/manifold. The cam is designated for EFI use and has a wider lobe separation to maintain reasonable vacuum at idle. I have a few coil packs so I can try direct fire ignition (once I make a crank angle sensor). The compression may be a tad high at 10.5-11.0:1 with the short duration/low-overlap. Should be fine on 98PULP or if E85 becomes available at more outlets...

Will have to do a bit of re-wiring in the engine bay, I am tossing up whether to get another MS2 and modify it for the MS2-Extra + sequential code or just modify the one I have. After looking at pictures of the mods it looks like there isn't much left on the main board after the mods, it's very tempting to make a custom board that the daughter board will plug into. Hmmm...
When are the FreeEMS proto-types being built?