Jamies Fe3 Van Project

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Fred

Re: Jamies Fe3 Van Project

Post by Fred »

I believe so, yeah! Custom engineered, but very cool. Hence I'm interested in pursuing it.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fe3-Van
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Fe3-Van »

progress :D :D

Il be getting the fe3 ready for a test fit in the weekend
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sweet, get someone to snap a pic of the grin that appears on your face when you drop it in for the first time ;-)

This was my grin moment (no pic of the grin though) :

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/ ... 0_3498.jpg
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fe3-Van
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Fe3-Van »

the first time the fe3 gets dropped in the van there will be a beer in my hand aswell as a look of joy :D
antz
TO220 - Visibile

Post by antz »

hey man was it a pain pulling the motor through the top? did it catch on many things or did it come out pretty easy?
Fe3-Van
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Fe3-Van »

it came out easy enough just a bit of fiddling with getting the sump over the firewall but it you gave a nice short chain over the motor it easy
antz
TO220 - Visibile

Post by antz »

oh sweet man. because ill probably doing that soon myself so i thought maybe itll be easier to just pull it from out the top instead of dropping it down.
aussievan
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by aussievan »

G'day James, looking forward to seeing that Fe3 going into the van. I will be starting on my van project soon, the intake manifold will be the first on the list, fabricating up something that fits nicely in that area.

No doubt you will also have some head scratching to contend with, especially for the rear of the motor. The cas system that Fred was talking about and pictured in this thread certainly would be ideal, as much room as possible is required in that area. I still think an inspection plate of some kind is called for though, for easy access to coolant hoses/ piping.

I have been told modifying the engine mounts by dropping the motor one inch, or 25mm, to the metric minded will help give clearance for the seats.

I am going to MS this project as well as I have a 2 litre sohc carb set up.

Good luck on your project and I look forward to your progress.

Barry
Fe3-Van
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Fe3-Van »

cheers barry

I plan on making an inspection plate to allow room for to fit the thermostat housing and modified dizzy, based on this

I am getting a carb fe bottom end from the wreckers tomorow so I can swap the engine mounts over to the fe3 and have a test fit to see if the mounts do have to be dropped.

Get a thread started and show us what you have to play with and if you want general econovan/bongovan info sign up to the http://www.rangimods.co.nz forum
Fe3-Van
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Fe3-Van »

I picked up the bottem end from the wreckers yesterday and stripped off the alternator,powersteering and engine mounts.
They all bolted up to the fe3 block fine, the only problem I found is that the fe3 runs ribbed belts where as fe carbs run vbelts so Iv got to swap the pulley wheels on the alternator and p/s over to fe3 items.

The sump and oil pickup off the fe carb block wont go straight on as the crank braces foul both of them, its nothing major though just a little cutting and welding to make them fit