Jamies Fe3 Van Project

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
antz
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Jamies Fe3 Van Project

Post by antz »

thats a bloody good idea about the inspection plate bit!! ive always thought what a bugger it would be if you had to get there, youd need to drop the motor out every time. im actually thinking of making an "inspection plate" in my van above the gearbox. so i can pull the box out upwards. easy clutch changes every time on the inside. but will see how practical itll be to make, i dont wanna go near fuel/brake lines with the cutting disk.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Mate, consider getting the main cap bolts from a non braced model and running without them? My 148ps high output engine never had those braces in the first place, only my low output persona one did. You've seen what I did to ensure I kept them though, but you aren't planning boost, so it's not uber critical.

Otherwise, can you use the fe3 pickup with the van sump? because you have the deep bit at the front, you may be able to, deep bit is at the back on the ute you see.

Don't forget to enlarge the two holes for the bigger bolts at the box end. I used cap screws there, but i'm not sure if i had to or chose to.

As for pulleys it may be easier to just swap the one on the engine! If you do that, you need to ovalise the holes because the pattern is a little different. 2 line up, 4 don't. Either way, make sure they are alligned properly. You may find that you need to get different pulleys from PAP for the pump/alt as the offsets can vary... there is a lot of choice though, just need to find the right one :-)

Glad to see some progress here! :-) Exciting stuff.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fe3-Van
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Fe3-Van »

Cheers for all the ideas,the fe3 pickup goes too deep to run on the fe sump but if I get rid of the braces it will all fit nicely with the fe sump and pickup. Are the cap bolts too long to use without the braces?
I never thought of modding the engine pulley so Il give that a go
Fred

Post by Fred »

If you shortened the fe3 pickup, would it still sit in the bottom of the sump? that seems the best option outside of ditching the braces. The bolts are too long yes. If you pull a few sumps, you will at most need to look at 4 fe3s to get 8 bolts :-) (assuming they all had braces).

The righthand pulley is an fe3 one i modded to go on the sohc engine, you can see how I've ovalised the holes :

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/ ... 0_3846.jpg

Fred.
Fe3-Van
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Fe3-Van »

Fixed the problem of the braces fouling the sohc sump and pickup by using the main cap bolts from the sohc engine(cheers for the idea fred :D) The fe3 dipstick and tube sits well in the sohc sump so they dont need to be swapped over and it will clear the exhaust nicely then.
Using the sohc pulley aligns nicely with the alternator and p/s that are sitting on the factory brackets bolted to the fe3 block, just got to ovalise 4 of the holes as fred mentioned but thats easy enough
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sweet, that's good to know :-)

Try to be careful ovalising the holes as you want to keep it balanced. Also, make sure the TDC mark on it is at the same angle relative to the key way. It may not be, and if not, you will have to remark it. Put some fresh white paint in that slot (original or new one) and make sure its dark around it. I used silver metallic and matte black and it was brilliant to look at with a timing light :-)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/ ... 0_3894.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f323/ ... 0_3892.jpg

Fred.
aussievan
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by aussievan »

Excellent progress mate, good to see you getting on with the conversion. I took particular interest in the pulleys, my van has the v type on it, prefer the wide pulley set up of the fe3. I am sure the water pump will be of the wide type as well.

Keep up the good work, pics have been great.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Aussie, all Mazda water pumps I've seen are integrated with the cambelt such that they can not fail. One aspect of Mazda engine design I feel is superior to Toyota engine design. I also prefer the multi V belts, but if its a large hassle to do the multi V and easy to do the single V, is it really worth it? Probably not. Personal choice though of course :-) I'd probably be the type to do it anyway lol.
Fe3-Van
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Fe3-Van »

test fit done this arvo and stoked!

dont have to lower my engine mounts @ all, it fits fine
dont know why people (fraud) have said you have to lower the mounts when theres plenty of clearance under the seat. Do the bench style front seats in econos/bongos have a different profile underneath that gets in the way?

only have to cut the firewall to fit the dizzy/thermo
theres plenty of room to put a custom intake mani in there too

A crude pic of an idea that I was thinking of, getting a manifold made up with the throttlebody and filter in the compartment where the battery currently is, would it work?