Fred's 1987 16v B234F Powered Volvo 240 GL Sedan

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Fred

Re: Fred's 1987 Volvo 240 GL Sedan - Notes and Debate

Post by Fred »

Brake lights miraculously started working again! Surprise! :-D

Taking it back to visit the previous owner tomorrow :-)

No tuning done, no changes made. Did some chores with it, carried some gear around, etc.

DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: Fred's 1987 16v B234F Powered Volvo 240 GL Sedan

Post by Fred »

Last night I cleaned all of the glass! And rainxed the rear window. And enjoyed crystal clear vision driving it today :-)

Tonight I diagnosed the strange contact noise - ripped left engine mount rubber, cam cover contact with brake booster! :-(

TOO MUCH POWER! :-D Didn't really even abuse it, yet.

It's fine if I don't fully floor it through 1st gear, so it can wait.
Fred

Re: Fred's 1987 16v B234F Powered Volvo 240 GL Sedan

Post by Fred »

A year on, done a few things for the poor old girl. Fixed the engine mount ages ago, probably shortly after posting that, IIRC. Fixed some flooding issues by creating some strategic leaks/breathers.

Last Saturday pulled half the dash out in search of a headlight not working issue. Pulled the instrument cluster out while I had it apart.

Sat night, brought cluster inside and disassembled/fixed the odometer with new plastic gears fropm Dave Barton.

Then proceeded to get sick, out of action totally for 3 days (sun, mon, tues), 2 off work. Then working at home, but not going out in the cold. Until...

Yesterday, tried to bench test the relay, no luck. Rewired the loom for a normal relay and got the headlights working! Great.

Today, got the dash back together, glovebox back in, steering wheel back on, etc, all nice and clean and sweet, 30 years of dust/filth/smells removed from all parts touched except the cluster.

Headlights working fine. But.... no tail lights, no cluster illumination, etc. Also high beam is momentary only now. Doh. Damn it. Will have to figure out how that all works and figure out how to fix it properly/better.

While I had the passenger kick panel apart I found evidence of water running down from above, but looking at the top, no where rusted or holy. I have left it open for now and will have to take a better look and see if I can find the source to stop the incoming flow and relegate the vents I made unrequired.

But she is now counting kms :-D

I will take it to the supermarket tonight, and choose headlights or tail lights/park lights strategically for the journey. Need it back on the street as car number 15 is arriving back here next Saturday evening. Uh oh :-o

You win some, you lose some. Still a very sweet car to drive despite all the issues it still has.