Howell TBI on 1977 J10

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Den
TO220 - Visibile

Howell TBI on 1977 J10

Post by Den »

After being inspired by this site so many years ago to become involved in EFI, this project was for me the way to go at the time.(about 1997)

My dad bought this truck new. He passed away in 89 so my mother forced this ugly thing on me. Nice to have something free and then be able to keep it running.

Had carb trouble and one morning on my way to work had a fire as the float stuck and pumped gas onto the exhaust manifold.

There wasn't much to bolting on the Howell kit but in those days making a cable for the ALDL dump and communicating with ECU and 160 baud(Very interesting). Then on to the EPROM tables and changing things here and there.

Truck still strong.
Attachments
GM TB
GM TB
1977 Jeep J10 258CI
1977 Jeep J10 258CI
Fred

Re: Howell TBI on 1977 J10

Post by Fred »

Welcome to the site, Den! Thanks for posting up this thread :-)

About your inspiration, the site you're thinking of is this one: http://www.diy-efi.org/

For a while it was down and up and down and unreliable and I checked on what I thought the domain was one day, and it was clear! So I bought it, only to realise later that I was name squatting by accident. I don't think it matters much as the other is a relic of days gone by as this will be soon with the death of forums, and they both share(d) the same spirit anyway.

My dad bought my truck brand new too, however he did that in 88 or 89, and he's still kicking around for the time being. :-)

How did you get the truck through the engine fire without total destruction? Sounds like a great story untold.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Den
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Howell TBI on 1977 J10

Post by Den »

As it turned out with the fire, timing was on my side. I had stopped at a quick stop for coffee and shut the truck off. I noticed smoke as I got out and lifted hood. Fire was small and a fire extinguisher put it out with no damage done except the carb was shot.

Den