Jaguar 0.7 alpha build for 1972 VW Karmann Ghia

Post your project vehicles here! One thread per vehicle please.
Andreas
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Jaguar 0.7 alpha build for 1972 VW Karmann Ghia

Post by Andreas »

I did some fuel system work. I'm waiting for some metric bolts to mount the fuel rail to its bracket, but I'm done for now. I need to get a gas line from the gas tank up front to the rear where the engine is. I'll put the filter and pump at the tank too. The old gas line will be the return line.

I picked up some PVC for the intake.... I don't think that is going to work either. I have do some welding, I think. I'm not really sure what to do, actually. I can't bend 2" tube and there isn't much room for a bend anyway. I'm contemplating just using a straight piece of pipe from one intake to the other and then cutting a hole in the middle of it on the top and welding a flange for the throttle body. It would be an abrupt angle/change of direction for the air. I want something easy! Suggestions?

Fred

Post by Fred »

Questions first: The fuel line has hose retention bumps at the ends, right?

The bracket for the FPR looks iffy to me. My one looked chunkier and it broke off. The hazards of being on the engine with max vibration.

Feed and return lines should be equal, and should flow what the pump does with low restriction, otherwise your regulator won't have a proper pressure drop across it as there will be back pressure against it in the return line. Will this affect you in some material way? Maybe, maybe not.

Re intake, consider some sort of plenum. Having some volume post throttle is beneficial in many ways. Let me try to find a picture...

Obviously you can't do one like this and keep the stock fan arrangement, but it's pretty much what you want to have: http://www.sdsefi.com/air12.html

More similar to yours (scroll down a way) but still has some volume post throttle: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 4&start=15

Small, but better than nothing: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... UL260i.jpg

Some food for thought, anyway.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I used a double flare kit on the fuel lines so there would be a bump. Good catch!

I'll keep an eye on the FPR bracket.

The return line is 3/16" and the feed is 1/4" so I think it should be ok.

The intake is restricted by the fan/generator like you said. I think I'm going to try a simple T since the system diameter is pretty large. Total volume is about 2500 cc with only 400 for a "plenum", but the shared runner (semi-plenum?) of 2" ID and 14" long between the two sides provides 720 cc.

I can modify later also.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I want to do better for the intake, but I also don't want to spend too much time on it. :oops: Also, while working on the intake, I realized there really is very little room. The 2" tube that joins the two manifolds can't even go straight across without hitting the generator mount. The rubber couplers have some give so I can still make it fit, but still. The vertical piece can't be very high at all (it isn't for the stock piece either) because the throttle body/filter won't fit under the trunk otherwise. I thought I could use an 8" vertical piece and that would be "plenum," but I'm probably a third of that length with the below. Fit up looks pretty good though. ;)

I think I need to clean the lens....
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Went to do the welding and realized my argon gas is all used up. I'll have to get some more in the next day or two.

I mounted the crank pulley and trigger wheel for real. I need to figure out a good mount for the sensor now. The exhaust arrived today and some other parts. I think I have one more package coming and then I'll have everything I need until I start on the interior.....and exterior. So much work left. Ugh. If I can get it running, that will be cool though!

This weekend the family is away so I can hopefully get a lot done. I've had my 5 year old home this week for Spring break and haven't had much time.

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Forgot to put the tin on before the pulley. I'll have to take it off which is not that easy. I have been waiting for more bolts for the tin so keep shuffling them around. That and I think I was going to hook up the oil lines before putting the tin on again. Oops.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I'm just about done with the crank position sensor mount. I have to trim it up and deburr along with get a couple wire clamps to keep the wire from getting cut by the belt. I had to make a second mount because there are several crucial dimensions.

I also refilled my argon tank so I can weld the intake next.

I realized that I didn't put the CHT sensor on yet and I think I will have to pull a manifold and cylinder tin to do it....and to pull the cylinder tin, I'm pretty sure I'll have to pull the doghouse cooler, etc. I've forgotten how many times I've taken it off and put it on at this point. :mad:

I can make the CPS further from the trigger wheel with a thicker gasket. Without a gasket it is really, really close, but doesn't hit...maybe .02"/0.5mm?

Fred

Post by Fred »

Close is generally good - stronger signal. When I was setting up the one for the Starlet I had the engine running and was tapping the bracket with a hammer, it moved once but didn't seem to move again, then I realised it was bouncing off of the teeth on subsequent taps :-D
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Fred, that sounds like something I would do also. :)

I alternatively feel like I'm getting close to done, and have a long way to go. I'm making good progress, I think, so that's something, right?
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

I did the worst welding of my life today. I think it was because I didn't fill the tubes with argon first as my dual regulator doesn't have the right connect to the tank. Nothing that grinding couldn't fix. The only problem now is that I think I may have to redo it since I didn't account for the oil cooler being in the way of the throttle cable. I was worried about the alternator and the fan shroud.

I also think I should weld on an O2 bung on the exhaust. I'm not sure where I'm going to put it.

I'm making a push to get the engine installed this weekend. I think I can, but likely not. ;)